WD Discovery is not working on M1 / Apple Silicon MacBook Air

This may be a long shot, but if you can access your WD My Cloud through the web… try making sure that the AFP service is turned ON, on the Settings / Network page. Maybe that will prompt Big Sur to install that extra software that I got installed.

Hello RSTAMBULIE !
thank you for the heads up, but I think that AFP service is no longer on Big Sur, even on the My Clooud Home configuration I don’t find anything related to it.
I guess there’s not much left to say, we’ll have to wait what WD says about it.

thank you!

G

Unless I am missing something here, I am sure the AFP service is integral to Big Sur. The reason I am saying this is because the other day I deactivated it on my NAS settings and Big Sur no longer recognized my PR 2100. So you might want to try playing with that if you haven’t already. Good luck!

Also, Time Machine is not working…

Do we know when an updated version of the app will be available?

Nothing from this end… still no update, WD sent me an email saying “we do not support this” I wonder what can I do with a 6TB My cloud Home NAS drive stuck on my throat.

cheers!

G

This is so disappointing… i understand this is a new chipset, however they should at least provide some timelines around it. Very unprofessional especially from a huge company as WD…

It’s not rocket science though, porting the app over to ARM. Western Digital are just really really bad at releasing new code early and often to keep pace with their customers’ needs. Every single year, it takes them forever to even support the latest version of an operating system, so I’m not holding my breath.

Looks like the issue could be as simple as WD using an older, incompatible system extension and they need to update it. About system extensions and macOS – Apple Support (UK)

I’m always willing to try something so I did just as the article said and when it came back after the reboot the My Cloud Home drive still wasn’t showing up in the finder. Just to be thorough I uninstalled and re-installed WD Discovery but still nothing. Was good idea but I’m afraid we’re still waiting on a solution from WD.

Running with the same problem here. I hope they solve this thing out

My Air with M1 chip said “A program tried to load new system extension(s) signed by Western Digital Corporation Branded Products Group” that need to be updated by the develop." This does not seem to be too difficult for WD to do but they just refused to do it quickly, if not at all. The customer support is a joke.

2 Likes

Let’s hope they update this soon. You would think a large corporation like this would be proactive with compatibility issues. It’s not like Apple springs this on them with no notice.

We deserve better customer service.

1 Like

this doesn’t work on M1 chip macs

Western Digital expects to have an update to WD Discovery that will mount the My Cloud Home drive on macOS M1 Processors by July 2021.
Found here: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30044/kw/m1

Meanwhile I switched from MyCloud Home to a Synology DS220j and I couldn’t been happier. Took weeks to transfer all the data via an old Mac, but now everything is set up.
Had a problem I couldn’t solve, wrote the Synology support, got a reply within a couple of hours with a perfect explanation to fix my problem. WD lost me as a customer forever.

Oh my… Very bad customer support. I also am switching to a new QNAP NAS as I am not willing to wait another 6-7 months. Will probably configure WD to back up my QNAP.

1 Like

Wait ? I must wait until July 2021 to use my Cloud Home in Finder like before ? Seriously ? And that from a Company like WD ?

1 Like

Please everybody register here for the new beta (Windows and Mac), maybe this will prior the backlog…

1 Like

Register? What you mean with that?

register for the new personal content app (beta)

1 Like