WD Discovery installation failure, javascript error message

“a javascript error occurred in the main process” is the error message. Seems to install but when I try to open it it will do nothing or give me the javascript error message.
I have a wd internal drive "WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device
" with Acronis backup software. Plus 2 of these "Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device
". My antivirus program is microsoft essentials. I uninstalled the program then turned off ME then reinstalled the program and the same thing happened.
Thought buying a compatible external drive wouldn’t be a problem.
Its a "Western Digital WD 4TB Black My Passport Portable Hard Drive " (WDBYFT0040BBK-WESN ). When I connected it it loaded drivers. I opened the drive and installed the wd discovery software and it never worked.
Is this a conflict with my acronis software? I ended up using the acronis software to backup today and uninstalled the wd discovery until I can figure out how to get it working properly.

Is Javascript up to date on your system? I’ve never come across this error before which leads be to believe one of the two issues is going on:

1.) There is an issue with Javascript (old version?)
2.) There is an issue with Windows (registry issue perhaps?)

What version of Discovery and Acronis are you on?

Yes, I removed java with the java uninstall app and then installed the newest version. I tried the wd discovery version that is on the drive first. 1.3.329 then I downloaded the online version. Which I just noticed is the same version. My acronis is acronis true image 2016 build 6595.

Odd question…How is your C drive formatted? (NTFS? FAT32? etc.)

ntfs…

Ok - there goes that idea… If it had been FAT32 for example there might have been a problem with the path’s being too long… not an issue with NTFS though…

I’m headed into the office now. I’ll ask some folks if anyone’s ever come across this before.

I’ll keep replying as long as you do. I will make a quick screencap vid of me trying to install the software. The software was uninstalled before I made this video and microsoft essentials antivirus was running. Still has the same outcome running or not.
Here is the video. - YouTube

Based on the video, the installation seems to have gone OK. Can you go to the system tray (lower right corner of Windows near the clock) to launch it instead of running the .exe (1:41 in the video) again?

nothing in the sys tray. If I try to launch it from the start menu nothing loads.

This was interesting.

Have you restarting since you installed it? (sorry for the basic questions, we just need to make sure we aren’t missing something simple)

Here is the manual User Guide for the software by the way:

Wonderful, I did a restart and now have the error message popping up at startup. Looking like I will just uninstall it and just use the acronis.

Very strange… the software shouldn’t interact with the sounds at all so I’m really starting to wonder if there is an OS issue somehwere that might be contributing…

I got a response from one of our technical support leads. He’d like you to get some log files to help determine what is causing this:

We need the WD Discovery logs increased log levels.

How To Increase WD Discovery Log Levels
WD Discovery: Increase Log Levels

How to Collect WD Discovery Software Logs
WD Discovery: Collect Software Logs

We need the Microsoft event Viewer logs Application and System logs

1.Left click Start Menu
2.Right Click Computer and left click Manage
3.From Computer Management double click Event Viewer
4.Double click to expand Windows Logs
5.Left click Application
6.Click the Save ALL Events As
7. Save the log to the Desktop, and name the file with the “case_number_Applicaionlogs7”
8. A display information Window will apear, chose the option: Display Information for theses langauages
9.Choose English and click OK.
12.Left click System
13.Left click the Save ALL Events As
14. Save the log to the Desktop, and name the file with the “case_number_Systemlogs7”
15. A display information Window will apear, chose the option: Display Information for theses langauages
16.Choose English
17.click OK

Also we need the MSinfo32.

1. Click on the Windows "Search the web and windows”.
  2. Type in “msinfo32” into the text box and press the [Enter] key
  3. When the System Information Window appears, choose File → Export
  4. Type in your name and/or case number into the “File name” text box and save it to your desktop so that it is easy to access.

I’m compressing them into a zip now. as for the sound files it was because I moved the wav’s to another drive before I backedup. I had to redirect them to the correct path. For some reason the last step is missing the folder. this foldr is not here.
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\WD Discovery Crashes
I have everything else.

For some reason the last step is missing the folder. this foldr is not here.
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\WD Discovery Crashes
I have everything else. Not sure how it done it but when I replied through the email and sent the zip file my comment showed up here at the same time but the file didn’t.

This is by design. We don’t want people to publicly post files like logs because they may contain sensitive information.

Instead, upload it to a location like a dropbox etc. and private message me the link. I’ll pass it along. To send a private message, click on my name above any post.

thats odd because your last reply showed up in my email and it still has the file attached. check the email.

There is no (accessible) email - it’s all handled by a program and we don’t have direct access like that.

I reached my max replies and had to wait 18 hrs before I could reply. so I just uninstalled the program and deleted all the garbage on the new hard drive. Its just a acronis backup drive now.

Hi @Serf

I just got word that we were able to access the logs from the support case you created. I just wanted to let you know they were received and sent along to our Engineering team to investigate. Thanks for providing this.

acronis is backing up as I type this. Its been working properly every since my last reply. As long as I have my data backedup I don’t care wish program works. just as long as one of them does.