WD Book for Mac keeps disconnecting - RAID warning

I’ve had an issue for about 7-10 days where when my Mac goes into sleep mode it causes my WD My Book for Mac to disconnect and I get a message saying:

“Error in RAID Configuration. Your device has RAID configuration issues. Please launch the WD Drive Utilities software to get more information.”

I do that - after having sometimes to disconnect manually the My Book from the back of my Mac and then reconnect it - and I run the Status check and the Quick Drive Test which both indicate no problems.

All is then OK until the Mac goes into sleep mode again and the cycle starts all over again.

I am concerned because I have valuable content on this My Book - I am sure it is not doing it any good that I have to keep unplugging and plugging it back in again several times each day.

When in WD Drive Utilities and try to find out if there are any software upgrades I get this message:

“Failed to search for software updates. Server could not understand the Request.”

???

Would appreciate some advice from WD on how to resolve this. I have raised a separate service issue.

Thanks

Hi Fizzbin2019,

You can refer the link mentioned below and follow the steps to resolve the issue.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18502&lang=en

Hi Brandon, thanks for the link. I have the same issue as the OP and unfortunately unchecking ‘Put Hard Disks To sleep when possible’ did not resolve the problem.

These are the problems I am experiencing on a daily basis with a MyBook Duo 8TB on Mac OS 10.14.2 on an iMac Pro. These errors all occur when the iMac wakes from sleep.

1: ‘Error in Raid Configuration’ dialogue box appears. Using utility to check the drive, all tests pass with no warnings. Drive operates as normal.

2: ‘Error in Raid Configuration’ dialogue box appears. Utility can’t detect formatted drive. When opening drive by clicking on desktop icon, it appears empty. Can’t eject or unmount disk. Normal function restored only by restarting computer.

3: ‘Error in Raid Configuration’ dialogue box appears. There are now two icons on the desktop for the drive. Clicking on any one causes Mac Finder to freeze, attempts to relaunch finder fail, cannot restart computer using onscreen menu. Have to manually turn off the power.

4: ‘Error in Raid Configuration’ dialogue box appears. Using utility to check the drive, all tests pass with no warnings. Clicking on drive icon causes Mac Finder to freeze, attempts to relaunch finder fail, cannot restart computer using onscreen menu. Have to manually turn off the power.

5: No error messages. Clicking on drive icon causes Mac Finder to freeze, attempts to relaunch finder fail, cannot restart computer using onscreen menu. Have to manually turn off the power.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Hi Brandon

I logged a call with the Helpdesk and I have had some similar advice but unfortunately it has only been partially successful.

I updated my hardware and software for WD Utilities and I no longer get any RAID warning messages but the problem of the Mac not recognising the WD My Book after waking from sleep persists.

When I click on the icon for the drive and use the Finder window it says there is no content on the drive. The only way I get round this is either to forcibly eject (take the USB lead out of the back of the Mac then reinsert it) or to re-start the Mac. I am doing the latter recently as I don’t think it is good to keep forcibly ejecting.

It happens every time I waken my Mac from a period of sleep so it is very frustrating.

I am continuing to discuss with your Technical Support Team.

Regards

I have the same problem without the RAID warning because I have no Raid. I have two WD easy store drives connected, one for data/photos/etc, and another for Time Machine.

Eventually the drives while still mapped, seemed to indicate there are no folders on them. If reboot everything reappears and works. Sometimes it takes days, sometimes it takes weeks (usually I notice it the day after a reboot).
I have made the change to not put the drives to sleep, I do not have proof that this will work yet.

Is telling it to never put hard drives to sleep really a decent solution? Won’t these drives benefit from sleeping allowing them last longer and not wear out as soon and not waste as much energy?

I’m not sure who’s problem it is, but I’d like to see Apple and WD work together and solve this issue properly.

I’m having the same issue…I have a 3TB My Book for Mac that does not do this, and a 6TB My Book (not specifically for Mac) and a 10TB My Book (not for Mac) that both “look empty” anytime the Mac wakes up from sleep. They need to be physically disconnected and reconnected, then everything shows up again. Has anyone reached a solution…the thread above seems to just die…

I am having the same problem, with My Book Duo dismounting at unpredictable intervals and the fan coming on. The solution offered above by WD re energy settings does not solve the problem. This is happening on both my Mac computers, which are running OS 10.4.5 and 10.4.6. I am very concerned that I may lose about 12 GB of data on this drive at any moment.

Hi everyone

Im having the same problems with my 20Tb MyBook Duo, and as some of you have mentioned, the only way I can get back to normal is by switching off my Mac and switching on again. Im running Catalina, but had this problem since I bought the drive a couple of years ago.

Have you had any success yet?

Many thanks
Stephen

I’ve just bought a MyBook Duo formatted it to Apple format and set it up to Raid1. I have exactly the same problem. ‘Error in Raid Configuration’ every time my Mac goes to sleep. This makes this drive worse than useless. I am an extremely annoyed customer !

I think I’ve cracked the issue!!

All I did was uninstall the WD software on my Mac. I think that, along with finder was the issue.

I’ve not had any issues since, plus it doesn’t keep ejecting accidentally.

Might be worth trying that!

Same issue here (MyBook 20TB), no solution. I have been emailing with WD for months; let’s better not get into the details… no sense. Never ever expensive WD Raid again.