WD Blue WD800AAJB 80GB 3.5" PATA Hard Drive Compatibilty

I am wondering if the WD Blue WD800AAJB 80GB 3.5" is compatible with this type of desktop which currently has a 10GB PATA/IDE hard drive installed:

Dell OptiPlex GX240 Small Desktop PC

Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz processor

256MB SDRAM PC133 DIMM

Microsoft XP Professional Edition 2002 with SP2 or SP3

56K Modem

CD-ROM Drive

Floppy Disk Drive

This is typically a question that you will have to ask of the manufacturer, Dell. The limitation of the BIOS is one of the primary factors on what capacity of a drive a system can support. The manufacturer should know what hard drive limits the BIOS has if it isn’t printed in the documentation.

I’ve saw this model of computer use up to a 250 GB drive but not sure if it can use one that is larger. If you want to attempt it, I would make sure that you have the latest BIOS update for the system since that should help. Also, the drive may work fine but you may not be able to see the full 80 GB.

1 Like

Thank you for the help. I did as you suggested and asked about the compatiblity and was told that said hard drive will work with the system.

justbytes73 wrote:

Thank you for the help. I did as you suggested and asked about the compatiblity and was told that said hard drive will work with the system.

Great. Glad to hear that the drive will work for you :slight_smile: