WD Blue WD10JPVX spins up & down continuously in Windows 8.1

Hi,

I have a primary SSD drive and my WD Blue WD10JPVX is my data drive. I have noticed that the WD drive is continuously spinning up and down in Windows 8.1 every couple of minutes. Is this normal or is my drive dying…?  Ii it is normal, is there a way to disable this behaviour ?

I have tested the drive with the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and it gives it a clean bill of health. 

(relevant SMART Info : Start/Stop Count = 91, Load/unload Cycle count = 197)

If I take a look at Window’ Resource monitor & which processes are using which disks. I only see vds.exe & “system” as the processes accessing the WD drive.

Thanks for your input.

Stijn

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

If you are getting a good health message from Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, I would not say that the drive could have any issues, although in some cases i would think that the spinning down of the drive could be caused by the computer not that the drive has issues. On cases like this as long as DLG states that the drive is working properly but, it has those spin downs i would keep an eye on int just in case but i highly doubt this drive could be defective. Lets see if another user can share some information or tips on this matter.