Wd blue ugrade question?

Hello I recently had the DPC Watchdog Violation Error. I got rid of it but i was told I may have gotten it because my WD BLUE SSD 2.5 needs to be updated. Its not that old and i still have a huge amount of space on it not used. if it is true how do i update it and will it wipe out my files and folders? Thanks

Wonder if they were telling you that the firmware on the drive needs upgraded/updated…this can be done with the WD Dashboard software. It will inform you if there is new firmware available and update it. Make a backup of your drive prior to updating as it is POSSIBLE to lose data but not likely. Better to play it safe.

Thanks, where can i download the dashboard? i am new at ssd things!!

Look at the top/header of this page “Support Downloads Knowledge Base” Then follow the pictures. Yeah I could have made it simple and added the link but you need to learn your way around :slight_smile:

Ok, Got it, now if i do a REGISTRY BACKUP, is that sufficient for a backup? Thanks

Nope not gonna get anything from that that would revive your files on your MBL. You need another drive large enough to copy it all off to. This is something you should have been doing all along if the data/media files are important to you. Not trying to shame you just sayin’ there is NOTHING better than a second copy that sits in a drawer :slight_smile:

Ok Thanks, Maybe i will get another 250 WD blue ssd and clone it from this ssd, that should do it, right?

No need to clone. Just get a drive large enough to hold all your data on the MBL. It doesn’t need to be a SSD. A good old fashioned HDD will do fine and be cheaper. It’s not something you’ll run Windows on it’s just for storage to backup your MBL Connect the new drive to your PC with a USB adapter and copy from your MBL to it over your network.

4TB for 101.00

The USB ADAPTER

my old desktop has an hdd in it, i could just wipe it clean and use that, what do you think?

Man…you know I’ve apparently gotten myself confused about what you are trying to do. Somehow I managed to confuse you with someone else I was helping that has a MyBookLive (MBL). I was just reading back through this thread and noticed you never mentioned anything at all about a MyBookLive.

So to get stuff straight you needed to update firmware in your SSD. You got that, or can do that with the WD Dashboard software. Is that correct? BEFORE doing this you wanted to make a backup of your current Windows installation. So, take that old drive, hook it to a USB adapter BUT get a copy of Macrium Reflect Free (Select HOME USE). This software will allow you to backup/make and image of your Windows install on your current SSD to your backup drive (the old one from your old PC). Then you’ll be all set to update that firmware!

Sorry for the confusion…I can’t even figure out how I did that. Guess it’s old age creeping up on me

I was wondering what MBL was !!!LOL!!!
i will do as you mentioned here>>

you needed to update firmware in your SSD. You got that, or can do that with the WD Dashboard software. Is that correct? BEFORE doing this you wanted to make a backup of your current Windows installation. So, take that old drive, hook it to a USB adapter BUT get a copy of Macrium Reflect Free (Select HOME USE). This software will allow you to backup/make and image of your Windows install on your current SSD to your backup drive (the old one from your old PC). Then you’ll be all set to update that firmware!

Thank You for the replies, Later