WD Blue 500gb SSD not showing up

My new WD Blue 500gb SSD is not showing up in my disk management, WD SSD Dashboard, and computer management. The motherboard recognizes it and does allow me to boot the system using that SATA port.

I am running windows 10

Sort of the same thing happening to me, but I suspect I know why. I cloned my existing system disk onto to WD Blue. It operates fine, and the system will boot to it, but WD Dashboard does not see it as a WD drive…I suspect because it has the MBR of the original system disk (a smaller SSD from Samsung) that was cloned, …could that be the case? I look forward to hearing.

Prior to cloning, I had used EaseUS Partition Master to delete all partitions, and leave the disk entirely unallocated. I then cloned my original system disk.

Same issue here. Brand new WD Blue 500gb SSD installed fresh with a new copy of Win 10 (64bit) from DVD disk. I did not clone the SDD drive from another drive. Then, I installed WD Dashboard and it does not detect a WD drive, so I cannot get any info on drive firmware, status, health, etc. Any help appreciated.

Darn, posted a new topic for the same issue before I found this article. Fresh install, brand new drive, but the WD Dashboard won’t recognize the drive exists in my system even though the BIOS and Win 10 can see and identify it as a WD drive.

I installed a new wds500g2b0b 500GB 3D NAND drive M.2 2280 in a new HP 24-r029 PC and it does not recognize the drive anywhere. Not in the BIOS, not in Windows 10, and not in the WD Utility. Any pointers? I’ll call HP tomorrow as well.

1 Like

Wow, the same thing happens to me, I wonder if they are accepting and exchanging the same drive out to each of us? Hope I don’t get the same response that the previous posters received. Crickets.

1 Like

My GREEN can’t be displayed, but I’ll go back to the old version.

Could you tell me the older version number?

This same happened to me, as well. WD SSD Dashboard can’t see my new SSD (WD 500 3D). I had to clone the old boot disc in newer PC with Macrium Reflect application. This SW was perfect for cloning, it tooks only one hour - after that I needed to update Bios settings and booting time dropped from 2 minutes to 10-20 seconds.

I used several hours trying to use WD SSD Dashboard and the other cloning SW - don’t waist your time, use Macrium Reflect instead of it, if any problems occurred.

1 Like

OK - Don’t rely on Macrium Reflect to solve this problem. I used the Macrium Reflect clone function to put my Windows 10 system on my WD Blue 500gb SSD and it still doesn’t show up on the SSD Dashboard. I wonder if anyone at WD actually reads the stuff we contribute since this problem has been around for quite some time now.

2 Likes

Same thing occurs. BIOS successfully detects the disk, also I can backup/restore it with Acronis without any problem. But in Win10 it disappears like in black hole. All my drives seems to be ok except this one.
So many questions and does not got any answer from WD, so I’m going to return it to local store.

1 Like

Hi guys!

I solved my problem. May be it will help you too.

My PC configuration:
ASUS M5A99 Evo r.2
3xHDD (2 of them assembled in RAID0), 1xDVD, 1xSDD and brand new WD Blue 500Gb.
All disks works well, but WD does not even appear in Windows device list. BIOS is ok with it.

The key is configuration of SATA controller in RAID mode. I have 6 SATA ports, joined in two blocks 1-4 and 5-6.
Initially all ports was in RAID mode. But WDblue have didn’t want to work in this mode. So I plugeed it in port 5, DVD in port 6 and switched them to IDE mode. After that OS successfully accepts this ■■■■■■■.

1 Like

I had the same problem recently and discovered Win10 Disk Management allowed me to define a partition by right clicking in the space for my SATA connected SSD.

1 Like

I realise this is an old thread, but this trick may just solve the SSD Dashboard problem:

This problem is probably related to restricted folder access of windows 10 security.

This is what solved the problem for me of WD Dashboard not detecting the drive:

I don’t have english windows 10, so my translation is probably a bit wonky :slight_smile:

Menu → Settings → Updates and security → Windows security → Virus and threat protection (1st item on the list)

Under the heading Ransomware protection
Select Administrate ransomware protection

• Select Allow an app via protected folder access

Select Add an allowed app

Select Yes at the window that appears

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\SSD Dashboard

Select WesternDigitalSSDDashboard.exe

You may need to repeat the process to from * to add:

QtWebEngineProcess.exe

If it still doesn’t work you may need to repeat the process from * to add:

vcredist_x86.exe

7za.exe

This should get WD SSD Dashboard to detect the drive, but your milage may vary.

Western Digital SSD Dashboard find drive if u make this disc working, copy some file there and than run Western Digital SSD Dashboard. I had same problem with this program and when i use data lifeguard from WD and scanning this disc same time i open western digital SSD and then this program find disc. Hope u understand me cos my english not good

I believe they can sometimes be a bit fiddly.
If it does not appear in the BIOS at all then either the port isn’t enabled correctly in the BIOS, the drive is faulty, or it hasn’t been installed correctly. Assuming you’ve installed it all correctly, then the drive could be dead unfortunately.

I had that problem at a moment. To solve I installed ubuntu from a live USB onto the SSD and then went back to Windows and wipe out the Ubuntu partitions… Long but it worked.

I had this same problem was adding as additional storage and was not showing up under disk management but could see it in my bois. my work around was control panel\system and security\ storage spaces there is a storage pool and I clicked on create a storage space and that started the format process I hope this help someone

1 Like

here same thing
device manager shows it but with as non initiated
on the drive help?

If it is showing in bios but not in windows make sure you keep your windows drive as boot priority number one but make the new ssd as boop option two above the non windows manager version of drive 1. Mileage may vary but it worked for me.