WD blue 1 TB slim "WD10spcx"backup drive won't restore

Hello All, I recently received a backup drive from Dell support that was made by WD. It is a WD blue 1 TB slim “WD10spcx”. Before my Dell system died completely I backed up everything onto this drive per the instructions that popped up when I installed it. Dell sent me this drive to use for backup purposes, I should’ve just backed up with google drive but I didn’t."

I now have a new computer and I would like to put the files onto the computer. When I plug it in I can see that there is roughly 6.5gb of used storage on it so I figure I should be able to move the files to the new computer but Im not having much luck. I downloaded “WD Backup” and when I run that with the drive plugged in and click the restore tab it says “there are no files to restore. You have not scheduled a backup plan.”

Please help if you know the solution :slight_smile:

WD Backup requires a compatible external hard drive (WD My Book or My Passport). It does not support internal hard drives.

How was your previous backup done?

It was done with that internal hard-drive model that i posted in the thread. I plugged it in and it took care of the rest… any way to salvage those files?

As you browse these forums, you will likely find that no, you cannot restore your data if it was encrypted / compressed using WD software. You can see the files / space used on the drive, but the actual data will remain unrecoverable. Should you find the super-secret ancient ritual to actually restore your needed data, please let the rest of us know… I will do the same.

Good luck.

This is an extremely unusual case. The app should be reporting “You need a compatible WD hard drive”; specifically a WD My Book or WD My Passport since the app can not backup into an internal drive as a destination. Please refer to the following article.

Are you certain you were not using Acronis WD Edition instead of WD Backup?

Thanks Trancer! I am not sure which software that I used to created the original backup. Dell sent us this backup disk and I completed the backup based on the prompts that came with that model… Any ideas on how I can restore? Or some more information I can provide you to help?