Wd black sn850x tcg opal 2.01 question, is this a self encrypting drive (SED)?

Can anyone here please tell me if the SN850X is an AES-256 hardware encryption capable drive?

I have two WD SN850x drives. One bought late in 2022 and another this month. The older drive doesn’t specify anything about TCG Opal 2.01 capability. The datasheet on the new drive specifies it.

I would like to know if this drive is self encrypting. Can anyone provide clear information about it?

The Samsung 980 Pro clearly states it’s AES-256 capability and that it’s TCG Opal 2.0 and EDRIVE compliant. Can someone provide similar information about the WD Black SN850x?

Thanks.

Hi @wduzzer,

Please refer to the article WD Security & WD Drive Utilities: Attach a Supported WD Drive:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/6265

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hey @wduzzer, I was wondering if you were able to figure it out.
I got sn850x recently, and I can’t make bitlocker work with it no matter what I do. It doesn’t want to activate hw encryption mode in bitlocker neither as an os nor as data drive.
While trying to activate it, I’m disabling the block sid in bios.
I’m able to activate hw bitlocker on 980 pro which is in the neighboring slot, both for os and data drive.
I’m also able to activate opal either from bios or from sedutil for wd black. This makes me think that it supports opal yet doesn’t support ieee1667.
Wd dashboard though tells that encryption is inactive (if block sid is disabled), or frozen if block sid is in place.
So would be really interesting if you were able to make it work. Thanks!

@fplk no hw bitlocker. no, it doesn’t support edrive. It does support Opal 2.01 though. That means it supports hardware encryption. I was able to use sedutil to encrypt it in hw. On bitlocker, I was only able to do software, it never went hw mode even when the drive was new and not partitioned per Windows requirements.

Makes sense, this is pretty much aligned with my experience. I’m wondering if wd plans to enable edrive support in one of the next FW updates.