WD_Black SN850 not detected by BIOS on bootup from power-off

Just heard back from WD and MSI, MSI told me to wait for a response from WD, note i have not tried this yet, and notice the link is dead (not a good start), i prob will leave my SN850 1TB in slot 2 wher eit works.

WD response …

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Pietro M…

Try changing the driver to Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) for temporary work around.

Here’s the steps to switch to IRST driver for WD Black PCIe SSD:

1. Check if you already have IRST installed:
  • Go to Control Panel , Uninstall or change a program, and check if Intel Rapid Storage Technology is present. If Intel Rapid Storage Technology is available go to step 2

• If you don’t have IRST installed, download and install the driver from official MSI website: https://us.msi.com/Laptop/support/GP72X-LEOPARD-PRO-7th-Gen-GEFORCE-GTX-1050TI.html#down-driver (if you are using MSI official image that came with the PC there is no need for you to download and install this driver, it will be included in your image)

1. Restart your PC and repeatedly press Delete key during MSI boot screen to enter the BIOS
  2. Press right arrow to choose Advanced tab
  3. Enter to select SATA Mode Selection, press down arrow to choose Intel RST Premium. Press Enter to select the option
  4. Press right arrow to select Save & Exit tab
  5. Enter to select Save Changes and Reset option. Enter again to confirm Save configuration and reset? message. Proceed to boot up the laptop as usual

After the change is made, you can go to Windows Device Manager to verify the correct driver is being used:

1. Right click My Computer
  2. Click on Manage
  3. Click on Device Manager
  4. Collapse Storage Controller option and check the name of the storage controller. The storage controller driver should display as Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller

If this doesn’t help, please provide the following information, in order to better assist you:

1. Where are you using the WD drive?
  2. Is the drive detected?
  3. Can you provide any photo of the error messages that appear?
  4. Did you change anything in the drive or the environment around the drive?
  5. Is the drive installed in your computer internally or externally?
1 Like