WD Black SN850 1TB stop working and freezes until restart

Hi, I bought this new unit and installed it in my computer, since I installed windows in it it freezes after a couple of hours of use and gives a blue screen.
I reinstalled windows in another unit and I used this hard disk as a secondary one and this after a couple of hours of use remains disconnected and I cannot use it again until I restart the computer.
Does anyone know a solution?

BSOD is usually a bad driver somewhere

Have you installed the MB chipset driver?

Yes, I update all motherboard controllers to latest versions.
BIOS is updated too.
Currently I get it to fail almost instantly when playing some game.

There is a dutch article on Tweakers.net which states there is a firmware bug in version 611100WD.

It seems WD has it fixed in firmware 611110WD, but it is not released to the public.

2 Likes

Good idea for everyone to get the WD SSD dashboard tool which can find firmware updates.

Yes so is there already an update available?

Surprise: There is no firmware update available yet!

Nope too bad. Its still the old version 611100WD (instead of 611110WD) firmware.

@WD_Admin Please update!?

Update available, testing now :slight_smile: thanks

Update firmware dont fix to me, take more time to crash but windows turn down with unexpected storage exception.

I have requested a refund, after almost 2 weeks waiting for a solution.

Having the same issue. I recently purchased WD SN850 2TB. It is not working on my laptop.

I cannot even boot into bios. My laptop boots to the logo animation and then nothing happens. Removing WD and inserting the old drive restores everything to normal. I am able to use the NVME in an external enclosure and working fine but not in my laptop where I intend to use and purchased for. I have updated the firmware also to the latest through the NVME enclosure.

I have a very high-end laptop - Asus ROG Zeyphrus S17 - GX701GXR . Please help me with this. I read online there are plenty of others too facing the same issue with different motherboards and laptops. Looking forward to a quick fix for the same. Very highly disappointed.