WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe stops working until reboot

Hi,

I’m having an issue where my 1TB WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe stops working after a while until I reboot Windows. I’ve updated the chipset driver and BIOS for my motherboard, and have tested the drive in both of the M.2 slots on my MB with similar results.

When this happens, Windows event viewer shows stornvme Event 11 with the error info: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0. I am not using RAID with the drive.

Any ideas?

1 Like

What kind of brand and type of computer?

Desktop
MB: MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi
CPU: Intel Core i5-i10600K

Is RAID mode in BIOS disabled and ACHI mode enabled?

Yes, it’s in ACHI mode

WD SSD’s don’t have their own NVMe driver, but they are using the standard Windows 10 NVMe driver [stornvme.sys]
It’s wellknown that this driver can cause many problems during installation of the SSD as well as Windows 10 itself.

The only thing that worked fine for me was a completely clean installation of Windows 10 on the system.
A decision that you don’t make easy.
Believe me, I have really tried all the solutions that can be found on the internet, but for me nothing helped.
After this debacle I only use Samsung SSDs. The advantage of this is that the Samsung Magician software can be installed without problems and that the SSDs use Samsung’s own NVMe driver.

Tried a clean install, reformatted the drive etc. and still having issues. Time to RMA I guess, probably going to get a Samsung as well.

pe 13. marrask. 2020 klo 19.15 Cosara via WD Community (wd@discoursemail.com) kirjoitti:

Not working?
Did you do a clean install of Windows 10 from an usb-stick by using the media creation tool? With that you will get all the newest software and drivers.

If you want to try more, see this: Fix: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued
For me, nothing worked, but you never know if you don’t try.

Yes, did a clean Windows 10 install from a USB, got constant windows crashes after a while. Reformatted and partitioned the drive etc., nothing helps. Starting to think it’s just a faulty drive, going for a replacement today.

To be sure it’s not a faulty motherboard:

1. Try this SSD in another computer. If it’s working, the problem is (probably) caused by the motherboard.
  2. Try another SSD in this computer. If it’s not working, the problem is (probably) caused by the SSD.

Personally I find the Microsoft standard stornvme-sys driver pure c.r.a.p. or just to sensitive for many configurations.

I’m also having the same issues, but if I found any solution then I’ll let you know (targetpayandbenefits)

I ended up getting a refund and got a Samsung 970 instead, works like a charm.

WD BLUE SN550 NVMe SSD - Unboxing/Setup/Test - YouTube - see maybe this can give you ideas, worked for me.

It seems like you’ve taken some initial steps in troubleshooting the issue. The stornvme Event 11 error in the Windows event viewer indicates a problem with the NVMe storage controller. Here are some additional steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Check for Firmware Updates: Ensure that your WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD has the latest firmware installed. Manufacturers often release firmware updates to address compatibility issues and improve stability.
  2. Check Power Management Settings: Windows might be trying to save power by turning off the NVMe drive. To disable this feature:
  • Right-click on the Start button and select “Device Manager.”
  • Locate your NVMe drive under “Disk drives,” right-click on it, and choose “Properties.”
  • Go to the “Policies” tab and uncheck “Enable write caching on the device” and “Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device.”
  1. Verify AHCI Mode: Ensure that your system is set to use AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) mode in the BIOS. RAID mode might cause compatibility issues with a single NVMe drive.
  2. Check for Windows Updates: Make sure your operating system is fully updated. Sometimes, Microsoft releases updates that include fixes for hardware compatibility issues.
  3. Use a Different NVMe Slot and Cable: Try using a different NVMe slot on your motherboard and a different NVMe cable (if applicable). This can help rule out any potential issues with the specific slot or cable.
  4. Test the Drive on Another System: If possible, test the WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD on another system to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is related to the drive itself or the specific system configuration.
  5. Check for System Logs: Review other system logs in the Event Viewer to see if there are any additional error messages or warnings that could provide more insight into the issue.
  6. Contact WD Support: If the problem persists after trying the above steps, it’s advisable to contact WD support. They may have specific recommendations or be aware of any known issues with your drive model.

Remember to back up your important data before making any significant changes to your system. If the issue continues, professional assistance from WD support or your system manufacturer may be necessary.

Mine stops being detected after I wake my PC up from sleep