WD Backup won't install

I want to backup my PC to my new external drive. I was able to install WD Utilities and WD Security, but I can’t get the WD Backup to install. It says it’s installing, but it doesn’t install. I don’t have a clue as to what is wrong.

Hi ,

First I want to point out that WD Backup is NOT an executable program, so you won’t find it listed, nor will it respond.

Second, when you first plugged in the external drive, did a screen marked Backup come up? Did you follow that. It sets up WD backup within WD Discovery. If not, make sure you have downloaded WD Discovery.

Third, once the Backup is set up, you should find WD Discovery. When you select that, click the apps tab and you will find a list with “WD Backup”. This is where you start WD Backup.

I hope this helps.
Cliff

No, a screen does not pop up marked Backup. WD Discovery is on my desktop. Under the apps tab, this is what I see. WD Drive Utilities - Open. WD Security - Open. Available Apps - WD Backup - Install. Every time I click install, it says it is installing, but then it goes back to “Install”, not open. Yesterday I tried downloading WD Backup from the website, but that didn’t work either.

I have Acronis True Image on my computer, which is how I backed up my former external hard drive. But it isn’t recognizing the new hard drive.

1 Like

I did some more “clicking” and got a message that WD Backup has been installed. However, I still can’t back up to the hard drive.

Does WD Backup appear at the top of the WD Discovery Apps screen? That’s what you need.

Which WD drive are you using? There are some software differences. I’m using the Passport with WD Backup.

If you have no data saved on the external drive, I suggest you use WD Utilities a erase the drive and start from there. Once you do that though, any save files will be wiped out. Be sure you have them on the PC.

Cliff

No, WD Backup does not appear at the top of the Discovery Apps screen. I believe the problem is that I am unable to get the “Add Backup Plan” anywhere. Therefore, I can’t input what to back up to, which in my case is the external drive, not the cloud.

I am trying to use the Passport. Customer service is asking me to uninstall the software and then reinstall it. I will try, but I have my doubts!

I got the same problem. When I open Discovery, WD Backup is there and says OPEN in a blue field. When I click on open, nothing happens. I downloaded the software WD Backup. I just bought this 6 weeks ago and have been trying to get it to backup.
When I go into Device Manager and select WD Passport/Events, it shows, “Device not Migrated”. Further information shows, “was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match”, what-ever that means? To bad WD doesn’t provide good installation instructions.

I’m using WD Passport WDBYFT0040B

The WD support team was not able to solve my problem. They could not get the backup file to download. They did, however, finally get Acronis to backup to the passport drive. For whatever reason I wasn’t able to get Acronis to send anything to the Passport. Thank goodness they did. Otherwise, I couldn’t back up anything. Needles to say, I don’t think I’ll be buying this brand of external drive in the future!

El equipo de WD no sabe resolver este problema que, por lo que he podido ver en estos foros, le está ocurriendo a mucha gente. Todas las soluciones que dan son obviedades que ya hemos probado sin resultado. ¡¡¡ RESULTA IMPOSIBLE INSTALAR WD BACKUP !!!

I am having the same issue as Turts. Bought the Passport 6 months ago, used it once with no problems, now when i want to back up again, i find the backup app is not loaded. I try to install, but it states that ‘no back up targets found’ despite the fact there are two drives listed on Discovery - storage.

Help please.

1 Like