WD anywhere backup

My WD Anywhere backup software keeps asking me on start up,

“Do you wish to download a new version of WD Anywhere Backup?”

Nope, not really…

How can I stop this?

The option “Remind me later” seems to mean “remind me when the computer starts up again”.

Its just so annoying!

Can anyone help? Any one else with this problem?

Juri

Yes - i have this annoying problem too. it started yesterday.

Hopefully they will turn it off soon

I appreciate this perhaps doesn’t particularly add much to  thread, but I’d like to echo the comments of the first two posters.

When I purchase products like this, I don’t expect to have to be subjected to an advertising campaign at the same time.  I’d run trialware/nagware at no cost if I was happy with that.

Perhaps it’s part of WD’s cost-justification / market strategy to include ads in purchased products, but speaking personally, it has put me off buying future Western Digital gear, certainly if software forms an integral component of the whole ‘product’.

It’s just a premium version of the software that offers some additional functionality. Not really worth the bucks IMHO.

My WD Anywhere did this too, but I’ve managed to stop the reminder message appearing at startup.

In my case, the first time that the new version message appeared it changed the program that runs at PC startup. Instead of launching the backup software it starts the upgrade reminder. Then after choosing “Remind me later” the normal backup software would run.

I found that the name of the program had been changed in my PC’s startup (actually in the Registry). You can see this by viewing Startup in the System Configuration tool (MSCONFIG). For the entry: WD Anywhere Backup, in the command data you’ll probably see “MemeoLauncher2.exe” but it should be “MemeoBackup.exe”

To correct the above you’ll need to edit the Registry (make a backup first). Navigate to the key named:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

then find the Value name: WD Anywhere Backup. The Value data will probably read:

C:\Program Files\WD\WD Anywhere Backup\MemeoLauncher2.exe --silent

and should be changed to:

C:\Program Files\WD\WD Anywhere Backup\MemeoBackup.exe --silent

Next time the PC starts, the normal backup software should run without the new version message. As always, take care when editing the Registry!