WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive deletion problems

So I’m deleting files from my ebook and I had 300 gb free, I waited a few days deleted some more and now I only have 95 GB free, what’s going on? I checked the recyling bin in the drives and they’re empty, I deleted my recycle bin on my pc. Can someone help please? I’m going crazy. I checked it for viruses, checked the hard drive, all ok.

Hi @KieranDarko,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

If you’re using windows, try clearing your cache, run a disk defrag and and restart your PC.

Open task manager, if it still says you disk is at a 100% capacity you might have to change your hard disk.

Hope it helps! Good Luck!

Sorry if you have already tried this but…

It could be that you have a bunch of shadow copies taking up disk space. Try doing a disk cleanup for that drive. Right click on that drive, go to properties, select disk cleanup, click on More Options and then, under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click cleanup. It will delete all shadow copies except the most recent. Depending on how you have your restore settings configured, and how much disk space you have reserved for restore points, it can take up a lot of space on the drive. Hopefully it’s something as simple as that. Good luck!

1 Like