WD 500 blue slow data transfer

HI, i have a wd 500 blue, transfer is now about 1 MB/s. i try it in external case and connect to mb directly, same thing - slow transfer.

there is no bad sector and  new fs didnt help, 2 zero passes during format didnt help, new particion didnt help. S.M.A.R.T. didnt report anything and disk have sound like it should be.

my bad is that my local dealer warranty is expired 6 month before disk is starting to act like that so i cant replace it with another one. :frowning: (2 year warranty)

i was lucky with data  - disk didnt lose anything, i copy it to another drive, but it took about 40 hours for copy . 

does any one have idea what it could be !?

is there any additional software to test a disk?

could that disk be flushed with newer software (can any disk be flushed) :??: 

what is my options whit that disk?

wd500aaks - 00v1a0

sn wcawf2629104

date 06 feb 2010

dcm hhrnntjaan

dcx 2000v2319

tnx

edit:

i try with different cable - there is no change

could you please change the sata cable and sata port on the computer ?

confirm if the board of the hard drive is well mounted

another thing that some people can do is try to clean the contacts and see what it happens

You have done a good job at troubleshooting. The only thing that I can think of left to try is another system since I didn’t see you mentioned that you tried a different computer. Otherwise it sounds like it may be a failing drive.

There isn’t a way to “flush with new software”. Trying on a different computer will be a way to try a different driver set just in case there is something weird with the drives/hardware on the machine you are using and it is causing the slow transfers.

before i posted my problem i have tried :

• 4 cabels (who are in use, so i assume they work :slight_smile: )

•  tested the disk in 2 computers (those computers works normaly, win7 64bit and ubuntu 64bit)

• different mode in bios

• 1 external case

the result is allways the same 

i didnt mention one thing (someone could maybe get the solution, i hope)

so, that disk had 2 partition

c: program files, win7 (32bit)

d: data who is not related with program files or OS (movies, pictures, books… etc)

at some point, i shrink d: disk from disk managment ( c.panel / admin.tool / comp. managment / disk managment) and after shrinking disk started  to work slowly, boot of OS was slow…

so, i sad “OK, my mistake, could be fragmentation, could be anything” and i chkdsk  /f to try to repare disk files and after that i re-install os because there was no change. 

re-install took about 7 hours to finish, without any error.

after that re-install, speed was still reduced so i deleted all partitions, made one partition and  then full format (format c: /p:2) and there was no bad sectors or errors of any kind.

LB_WD:

if we talk about “broken” hdd, why s.m.a.r.t. didnt report any thing?

do you know how will drive work if memory on drive controller is non-functional?

btw. this is intresting situation for me just becouse there is no errors, and i keep try to find out what it is

LB_WD:

if we talk about “broken” hdd, why s.m.a.r.t. didnt report any thing?

do you know how will drive work if memory on drive controller is non-functional?

btw. this is intresting situation for me just becouse there is no errors, and i keep try to find out what it is

SMART tests the drive to see if it is healthy using internal monitors for error rates, reallocated sectors, etc. These can all be normal and the drive never have problems from these aspects, but if something like the connector, circuit board, etc is damaged, these can’t be measured by a sensor.

I’m not sure what the behavior would be for what you mentioned. Sometimes there is no set behavior for a component problem or failure. Pretty much everything has been ruled out by your troubleshooting, which is what troubleshooting is for. Once you have ruled out all possibilities, then it appears to be an issue with the unit itself.

One last thing you can try would be to do a write zero’s to the drive. I know that you’ve deleted the partitions but I didn’t where you mentioned the drive was fully cleared with a write zero’s. Sometimes just deleting a partition will not clear everything from a drive. A write zero’s removes everything from the drive and forces the OS to reinitialize the disk. This will typically fix problems if there is a partition type issue. Write zero’s is a option in the DLG software.

1 Like

i format disk with write zeros two time (cmd format), but i will try with some other software, like you said.

any way, thanks for your time… after all, it is just a hdd :stuck_out_tongue:

Solved:

summary, hdd (as OS/BIOS cencerned) was just fine, it was just slow.

after various of attempts i didnt do anything with OS  tools (format, new partitions, scan disk for bad sectors etc)

so i use 3rd parity tool for write zeors to the disk and then;

1. partition is gone

2. around 100 MB of writeing zeros took  about 11hrs (!?) - 500GB disk

3. disk SMART start to report bad sectors - a LOT ot them

4. every error on disk is reported as it should be (BIOS report)

i think it is about logical bad sectors becouse there is 196 sectors to be realocated (it is in pending).

somehow, on this disk  SMART start to work normally after trigering something while zeros was writen. 

this issue is solved for me and my conclucion is:

1. windows 7 (32/64)  formating with writteing zeros does not work as it should

2. windows 7 can detect bad sectors ONLY if SMART report it 

as i said - data on disk were intact, disk was just slow and after SMRT report errors on disk, windows 7 notification for is visible all the time,(opposite) while SMART didnt report any errors, windows7 report for that disk was - disk is ok.

thank you all for help and im sorry for spelling and my lame english.

chears :smiley: