I guess I could have labeled this topic " In need of guidance",
I purchased my “My Book Live” in 2014 and it died on me a few days ago.
I bought the 3 TB version because I couldn’t afford the 4 TB version (I was in the middle of building my PC), I’m running a Crucial 128 GB ssd for my OS and a 4 TB Seagate ssd / hybrid as my secondary which happened to be a great deal cheaper than the My Book Live, but I’m thinking; self contained Network Access Storage could only be a good thing.
So you could imagine my utter disbelief when I opened my personal cloud to find a WD green DESKTOP Hard Drive inside.
Why oh why, would you put a desktop hard drive in a device such as this. If I wanted a desktop hard drive I would have bought one.
Fortunate for me most of my cloud (not all) was backed up to my 4TB secondary drive
So now I’m looking for a replacement drive.
- Would the cloud have issues seeing a larger hdd other than the one for which it was intended?
- Is the cloud interface on the board firmware or is it stored on the hdd?
- If it is stored on the drive, would replacing the hdd with a WD red make it plug n’ play?
- Could I use a different brand name hdd in the cloud?
- Recommended hdd spec for replacement drive?