WD 2go Pro & WD Photos - Won't use Wi-Fi Data at Home

I was impressed with both these applications. With WD 2go Pro, I happily clipped lengthmovies to my iPhone & iPad, so I could play them whilst away from home (saving on mobile data charges, that would otherwise have been incurred).

However, to my horror, unlike the iPhone & iPad, these applications don’t use the Wi-Fi network when in range, and as a result, I have a mobile data bill that is higher than the WD unit costs!

Why is this so! Both applications should:

1. Use Wi-Fi when they can.

2. Be able to connect to the MyBook Live even when the Remote Access is disabled (like TTwonky does).

PS The ability to search for text in file name would also be useful. 

1 Like

I see your point, unfortunately, these apps will always select the faster connection available.

I think WD should reconsider its decision not to change the code, to capitalize in the home wifi-fi. After all, like Apple’s decision not to address their antenna issue in iPhone4 until it flaired up, many marketing dollars will need to be spent to repair the MyBook Live product’s reputation, just because WD is wasn’t sensitive to their customer base - and WD would still need to fix the issue for that to work. So it’s in WDs interest to fix these issues ASAP.

thinker wrote:

I was impressed with both these applications. With WD 2go Pro, I happily clipped lengthmovies to my iPhone & iPad, so I could play them whilst away from home (saving on mobile data charges, that would otherwise have been incurred).

However, to my horror, unlike the iPhone & iPad, these applications don’t use the Wi-Fi network when in range, and as a result, I have a mobile data bill that is higher than the WD unit costs!

Why is this so! Both applications should:

1. Use Wi-Fi when they can.
  1. Be able to connect to the MyBook Live even when the Remote Access is disabled (like TTwonky does).

PS The ability to search for text in file name would also be useful. 

your iPad and iPhone are supposed to automatically switch from 3/4 G to wi-fi when they are in range.  switching to wi-fi is a function of your phone/pad, not the software.  so you should talk to apple also, as to why it isn’t happening.  besides, any device using wi-fi won’t automatically switch unless it’s been properly setup on that network.  are you sure you’re setup properly, both at home and away?

I got the most recent MyBook Live software downloaded, and retested - and it’'s using Wi-Fi now (i turned off mobile data from my phone, and remote access on the MyBook Live). So I’m happy now (just have to have a fight with my mobile carrier now).

Now, if the WD 2go app could replay AVI video files on a iPhone.iPad, like the Persona Software’s “FlexPlayer” :smileyvery-happy:app does, I would be ecstatic! :smileyvery-happy:

wd2go doesn’t actually play the files.  it just makes them available.  you will need a media player on your phone/pad to do that.  you should be able to find one on the apple app store.  just make sure the app will play the file types you have.