Wd 1140 4 TB not recognized on my PC

I can’t open my wd passport on my PC .

I gave new wd passport to a video photographer to put my wedding video on it which he did and return back to me.

Now I am trying to open the drive on my PC but I can’t find it.

It just give me the message that a new hardware found; and then when I go to my computer it shows all drives except the WD.

I went to disk management it show that " drive 1 " is recognized and working properly, and shows that 100% is free but the total size is 2.7 Terra and it is 100% free.

So I can’t understand why the data on it doesn’t show that 1 terra is used and remaining free.

And how can I make it work?

Thanks

Sylvie

Hi Sylvie:

Something that you can try is… You said that you can see the drive on disk management and the drive seems to be healthy. Over the blank space (where it says healthy and where you can see the drive letter) make a right click on it and select open. That should give the access to check what you have inside your external drive. 

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.  

Does it say anything in Disk Management like Raw or Unallocated? Frequently when a drive shows much larger than it’s actual size there is a problem with it. Try running WD DLG it’s in the downloads for your drive.

Joe

Ok… It seems like your drive is not so healthy as a thought. In this case that means that your drive must be initialize. Maybe because the information on the external hard drive is corrupted. I suggest you to search on Google a “Data recovery software freeware” and see if can recover the information that you have in your external drive (That’s if you have information save into it). If not make a right click on it and select Initialize disk…

Let us know if you need further assistance…

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.