Watching videos on my phone

kturcotte wrote:
No, I have VLC on the computer and LOVE it! I need all of this to work completely independently from the computer is the problem.

Not going to happen the way things currently are – if you mean watch ISO/MKV videos on your mobile devices with VLC.  You need VLC Streamer to complete the job.

If you just want to watch videos on your mobile device there are other ways I have found and use.  You need to have your videos in a more standerd format such as mp4/m4v to use any of the DLNA ways to stream.

Below is what I posted in a thread a while ago:

----------------------------------------------------------- 

I have these six iPad/iPhone apps installed for accessing the network data (i.e. media player so they can play on my iPad or WD player and be directed from the iPad./iPhone.  (Some of the apps are also in Android versions.)

1.  Pogoplug app – specific for using with a Pogoplug device; enables access from anywhere on the internet. for streaming; not just within local network.

2.  VLC Streamer app – streams movies; i.e. ISO, MKV files; even DVDs within local network.  CPU intensive,

3.  WDTVMedia HD – streams DLNA compatible files (music, movies, photos) to/from media player to iThings; for local network use only.

4. FileBrowser – access your local network like you can from your PC and play stuff on iPad.  Can be setup for outside network, too.

5. AiCloud – specific to my ASUS router; similar features as FileBrowser, enables access from anywhere on the internet.; not just within local network.

6.  Twonky Beam – One of my favorite apps that enables playing audio/video/photo media to/from iPad, WDTV, Roku, etc.  I like that it enables iTunes playlists to play music from my iTunes folder on my PC to the iPad or WDTV, Roku, etc.  Only app I have found that can deal with playlists, and it does very well.  Easy to watch YouTube videos beamed to WDTV, etc.

Search this forum for the names of these apps, as I have written something here about all of them.

A gigabit network and wireless N w/5G connection really helps these apps to work well.  A fairly fast PC does too.

The above passage came from this post of mine:

Twonky Beam app is awesome for WDTV, Roku, etc. - Western