Watching video on iPad

Hi I recently purchased a My Book Live and connected it to the back of my BT Home Hub 3. I have downloaded the WD2go App on my iPad and can see the files that I have transferred onto the MBL. Music plays fine but videos won’t start - I have tried this with several videos (a 30 min SD, a 60 min HD and a 90 min SD). The video appears to be buffering with the play/pause button constantly flicking between the two. Has anyone else experienced this who can advise? Many thanks.

If your ipad is in the same wifi of MBL you can enable twonky on MBL and use a DLNA streaming app on iPad (such as aceplayer or flex**something*).

Furn462 wrote:
Hi I recently purchased a My Book Live and connected it to the back of my BT Home Hub 3. I have downloaded the WD2go App on my iPad and can see the files that I have transferred onto the MBL. Music plays fine but videos won’t start - I have tried this with several videos (a 30 min SD, a 60 min HD and a 90 min SD). The video appears to be buffering with the play/pause button constantly flicking between the two. Has anyone else experienced this who can advise? Many thanks.

Are the files iPad compatible?

(MP4 / M4V / MOV extension, h.264 video, AAC audio, etc.)?  

Do you have enough bandwidth for the video to stream in real time?

Does the file play if Clipped?  (WD 2go Pro only.)

It sounds to me like they are DSM protected files bought with iTunes…? I have the same problem with that kind of file with this network drive system in place. I have posted about this in the ideas board for the software and apps: http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=idea-board%3Asoftware_ideas&q=WD+2+go+app+update if this is what’s going on in your case please comment on my post so we can get an update implemented that solves this issue. I know it’s possible I’ve accessed these type of files from a storage device on my iPad recently, even the same ones that are now inaccessible. Please go to my link above to help me resolve this issue.

I’m having the same exact problem and so I just troubleshooted all three of your questions, Tony, and 1) yes 2) yes 3) no.

The files are iTunes purchased videos but the file extension (m4v) does show as a file type which is supported by MBL. I have attempted to play the files differently - I put ShareToMe on my iPad and ServeToMe on my PC and shared the “Public” folder on the MBL. With the computer on I can then watch the files on the MBL through ShareToMe with no issues, however the purpose of the MBL was so that I didn’t have to have the computer on.

I have emailed the developer of ServeToMe who informs me that the programme cannot be installed directly onto the MBL, but that they are looking into an update which would allow it to be put onto external NAS drives.

This morning I also installed the FileBrowser app onto my iPad which had the same result as the WD2go app.

Given that I am able to watch these files through ShareToMe (albeit with the computer on) how does this answer the iTunes DRM issue?

Ok. The problem is with the app itself nothing else. The app could play these files just fine if the programmers allowed it to. But anyway I figured out a way around this for now until they update the app… All you have to do is open the movie you want to watch. Then click the export button in the top right corner. Cick “Email As A Link” and email it to yourself. Then open the email and click the link. Viola, you will be watching your movie in seconds… This only works if you have synced the device your trying to watch them on with the computer you downloaded them from since you bought them. This should work for you, so let me know how it goes…