Watching iTunes purchased movies from My Book Live

I bought the My Book Live as I thought it would be great to be able to stream movies, pictures, music when away from the house without carrying everything on a device (iPad, laptop etc).  However, after trying to move my movies to the shared drive and not being able to play them on any devices remotely or even around the home (TV’s connected to the network using Twonky), I read somewhere that you cannot play any movies that were purchased through iTunes due to licensing, is this correct?  As the majority of my TV Show/Movie collection were purchased through iTunes!!

So, if this is the case, is there anyway around it or have I wasted my money and should have just bought an external drive to do my back-up’s and no more?

Yep, that’s correct…  Unless the receiving device has the “key” to decrypt the content, you won’t be able to play them.

It’s not that the WD can’t STREAM them, because it can.   But the receiving device must be able to decrypt them.

So even if you put them on an external disk and plugged that into your TV, you’d still be out of luck watching them on anything other than Apple-approved devices.

alythell wrote:

I bought the My Book Live as I thought it would be great to be able to stream movies, pictures, music when away from the house without carrying everything on a device (iPad, laptop etc).  However, after trying to move my movies to the shared drive and not being able to play them on any devices remotely or even around the home (TV’s connected to the network using Twonky), I read somewhere that you cannot play any movies that were purchased through iTunes due to licensing, is this correct?  As the majority of my TV Show/Movie collection were purchased through iTunes!!

So, if this is the case, is there anyway around it or have I wasted my money and should have just bought an external drive to do my back-up’s and no more?

This really does demonstrate the value of conducting research before purchasing a product.  Yes you can move your media and even the iTunes Library file onto MBL.  However, as the previous poster stated you will require iTunes in order to play them back i.e. you PC/Mac will need to be switched on.