'Watched' Icon not filling

I’m using firmware 2.04.13 and 2.03.24 on my hub (I downgraded because I thought it might fix the problem).

I have a number of videos on the HDD that I am watching from my Hub. However, when the video finishes playing, the little ‘Watched’ icon only half-fills (i.e. partially watched). Can anyone tell me what is supposed to trigger the full ‘Watched’ icon?

Is there an addon that tells you witch video is newly added?

No, that’s correct.  There is no “COMPLETELY” watched icon.

There is a watched icon?  I have never seen this before.  Does it only show up when you are watching content that is on the hub?  All of my content is from network shares.

No, as I said, there is no WATCHED icon.   There’s only a PARTIALLY WATCHED icon.

Where is this “partially watched” icon? I’ve never noticed it? Could it be because I rarely watch a movie all the way through the end credits?

It’s only visible in the GRID views, right next to the FAVORITE icon.

TBH, that sounds like lazy programming. It actually isn’t even in the legacy.theme as a resource, so either it’s written in and just not in the resource, or they were seriously that lazy on the day they wrote the ‘watched’ flag

If WD can detect that a file has started to be played, I’m sure they can determine through the same method when the file reaches the end? Perhaps between playback finishing and going back to the file selection is where you would write the flag? Or since it knows how far through the file you are (i.e. it asks to resume), if time remaining <10% total time, write as fully watched?

It’s a lot more complicated than that for DVD, how would it know you reached the end of a multiple-title DVD?

I never considered that. I only use it for single file videos; if I want full dvd functionality, I use my DVD player :wink:

the hub definately has the ability to measure a partially watched video as it allows you to resume play when returning to a video. does not matter if it is DVD or single video file. It is lazy coding… simple as that. should have a fully watched icon.

drizzt09 wrote:

…does not matter if it is DVD or single video file. It is lazy coding… simple as that. should have a fully watched icon.

I don’t disagree that a FULLY watched icon is possible for linear, single-stream material.

But it’s just not possible with DVD. Remembering where you STOPPED is a trivial task.   But knowing if that’s the END is a whole different ballgame.  

If you’re thinking that it should just mark as being completed if you stop near the end of the FILE, then for many DVDs, you’d be completed as soon as you start it, because most of the opening sequences (trailers, FBI stuff, Studio logos, etc) are at the end of the file, but are played at the beginning.   It’s also completely possible that you NEVER reach the end of the DVD, because DVD authors often but unreachable content at the end of the file as a form of copy protection.

DVDs are non-linear.   About the best you could hope for is a menu option for “Mark as Complete” or something.

I don’t understand why the discussion has shifted to DVDs. This device can neither play them or access them via the network, so it is unrelated to this discussion. Are you referring to DVD .iso files? I’m confused.

Miami_Son wrote:

I don’t understand why the discussion has shifted to DVDs. This device can neither play them or access them via the network, so it is unrelated to this discussion. Are you referring to DVD .iso files? I’m confused.

Because its about the ‘watched’ icon and somebody mentioned DVD’s.

drizzt09 wrote:

the hub definately has the ability to measure a partially watched video as it allows you to resume play when returning to a video. does not matter if it is DVD or single video file. It is lazy coding… simple as that. should have a fully watched icon.

I agree totally, it is lazy.  They should have a fully watched icon, and they should have it in every view, not just tile view!!

This would be especially useful for TV shows.

I can understand not being able to support DVD’s, but single video files would be fine.

I’ve just added this to the Idea Exchange here, so hopefully WD sees this. Please vote for it!