Warranty

Greetings,

Is the warranty on an external disk transferable?

Thank you.

Hi

The answer is No… sorry to be so direct.- lol

LOL - Thanks!

Sorry ricardodegracia,

Unfortunately, or fortunately in this case, that is not correct.  Our drive warranties run with the drive or device.  So, transferring is not an issue.

[edit] 

To clarify, warranties are based on the device’s serial number.  We don’t care who owns it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Bill

I really thought the warranty was only for one drive and couldn’t be transferred to another drive unless you replace it. That’s good to know.- :smileyvery-happy:

Bill_S,

So you are saying that if I sell a disk that has two years left on it’s warranty, the new owner can still obtain warranty service? (Btw, are you a WD employee? I’m relatively new to the Forum). Thanks.

@ Ricardodegracia,

You are right.  You cannot transfer a warranty from one drive to another.

@ LGLDSR73,

I am a WD employee, and I manage this community.  And, yes, if you sell the drive to another person, that drive still carries whatever warranty is left on it.  The person you sold it to just won’t be able to update the warranty, because they didn’t buy it new from a retailer.  We see a lot of customers trying to do that when they buy used products off Ebay.

Bill, thank you very much for your help and assistance; greatly appreciated!

Lyman

You are welcome.

Bill,

What is the starndard warranty on your iine of My Book World Edition II drives? I could not find it under specs, features, etc.

Thanks.

bill_s wrote:

@ Ricardodegracia,

You are right.  You cannot transfer a warranty from one drive to another.

@ LGLDSR73,

I am a WD employee, and I manage this community.  And, yes, if you sell the drive to another person, that drive still carries whatever warranty is left on it.  The person you sold it to just won’t be able to update the warranty, because they didn’t buy it new from a retailer.  We see a lot of customers trying to do that when they buy used products off Ebay.

Now I think … I don’t know … should I receive something on my post… like a Kudo or something like that? lol

Thanks!

(How do I apply a Kudos for your help to this specific answer you provided?)

LGLDSR73 wrote:

Thanks!

On my first reply … click on the Star under my information… thanks in advance

1 Like

ricardodegracia wrote:

LGLDSR73 wrote:

Thanks!

On my first reply … click on the Star under my information… thanks in advance

@ ricardodegracia

Okay, I’ll give you one too.

@ LGLDSR73

According to our warranty policy, it should be 3 years.

Kudos so given. Many thanks!

Thanks Bill and LGLDSR73 :smileyvery-happy: