Warranty Question

It’s my understanding that the warranty may be void if one builds their own firmware using the WD GPL firmware source code, and that’s generally acceptable. If one bricks their NAS… it’s on them. The hardware may be fine, but it can’t run without software.

However, my concern is with the physical hardware itself. Custom firmware generally can’t damage the physical hardware unless one gets really crazy, and people with those kinds of skills aren’t likely to do anything foolish. So, my question is this…

Does custom firmware affect the warranty, as it pertains to the actual physical hardware? In other words, what happens if the main board fails, or a memory stick fails, if one decides to use custom firmware? Or suppose the external power supply fails, which can’t be affected by firmware… Is that still covered?

Lastly, please don’t ask me to contact WD support. Based on past experiences, I believe they are likely to know less about it than I do. Sad, but true.

Ok, so lets be clear about this. If the NAS is under warranty and the main board, memory, internal hard drive, or power supply fails, it is covered under the warranty and the entire drive or power supply is replaced. Once you modify the operating system by uploading your own code or accessing and modifying the OS via SSH. The warranty is void, regardless of hardware failure or not. SO if you upload your own code and the drive is bricked, it is not covered under the warranty.

Western Digital does not use refurbished products in the replacement process. We use recertified products. We do not disassemble and repair our returned products which is what refurbished means. Recertified means that products are returned for whatever reason and then run through the full set of quality tests that new products go through. If any test fails, the product is scrapped and recycled. Normally, if there is something wrong with a product, it will fail within the first few days and the retailer will exchange it for a new product. The manufacturer is responsible for replacing a defective product after the retailer’s return time has expired. The remaining time on the warranty is transferred to the replacement. If that time is less than 90 days, the replacement gets a 90 day warranty automatically.