Wanting official support for Edimax EW-7711Uan Please test it

WD

i have called for suport thru wd support line of  my wirless acess point. (see item below)

level one suport will not cover networking or my wdtvlive for networking with the edimax

(please elevate to level 2 support) test this edimax as it is win 7 compliant, linux complient

the problem that i am having is that it worked for 2-3 days. when i first received it.

was networked thru a Belkin F1P1243EGau  4 port wirless modem router. and to windows7

only settings that may have changed is thru the wdtv live firmware updates

Edimax EW-7711UAn

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=277&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=44

please help me

It appears that this may use a adaptor chipset that is supported by the WDTV Live even though it is not on the official list. This is more likely given the fact that you once got it working. If I were you I would recycle the power, reset the unit via the side button and ‘restore to factory defaults’ via the settings menu. It may be that the after your firmware updates the WDTV needs to recognise the adaptor again.

richUK & … WD support team (if they are checking) 

I have done the power recycle but also needed to recycle the Belkin router too…  this seems to be part of the answer.

Also… In doing this I have to also enter thru wdtvlive all the network info thru the “wired” settings for the WDtv Live to be recognized. And then… All it does is see the wdtvlive box thru the computer in way of an icon (blue WDtv live icon)

note:     this needs to be done every time I turn on the wdtvlive .

If it was possible for me to enter in an ip address and a subnet address manually and save it  !!!  ( would alleviate a few of my issues. This way I could tackle the connection from the computer with a keyboard. As going thru the wdtvlive keyboard to enter in lots of numbers numerous times is starting to wear out my fingers on the lil remote)

I am on the understanding that the edimax ew-7711uan has its own Mac address and the wdtvlive also has its own Mac address.

The confusion (and I am only guessing now) is that the wdtvlive will not take on the ip addresses or Mac address thru the edimax access point and operate as one unit.

Would be good to be able to save the Mac address of the edimax access points into the wdtvlive and make the units act as one?   (if this is possible)

WD, may be able to test the drivers for the Edimax access point and place in one of its firmware updates. Then, in a perfect case scenario, my wdtv would be plug and play compliant wirelessly.

The reason for my purchase for the wdtv live was for its wireless capabilities as it needs to communicate thru 3 brick walls. Not as the easy solution of a cat 5 cable going thru walls and ceilings as wd support have suggested.

Hence my suggestion for support of my wireless edimax. I have noticed that no edimax wireless access point has been supported (maybe it has never been requested?). but I am also guessing that if one edimax model is supported, just maybe 3 or 4 models of edimax that use the same configurations and the same same chipset may connect also.

My choice of the edimax was because of the range distance it could do, and, one quote I read on another wdtv site…  the bloke wrote  " I just plugged it in and it worked!!!"   well   so did mine for 3 days

all the above  ^^ is thinking out aloud and by no means a solution .  im just thinking of ways to make my life easier.

Thanks  richUK…   (am wondering when you first used wdtv…  did you have have complications?  LoL)

anyways   i do apreciate all the posts on this site and on the wdtv forum as this is a big learning curve for me.

regards

Mick

tinny510 wrote:

Thanks  richUK…   (am wondering when you first used wdtv…  did you have have complications?  LoL)

anyways   i do apreciate all the posts on this site and on the wdtv forum as this is a big learning curve for me.

regards

Mick

I had some problems but not as many as some of the people here. I did not expect as much from this device as they obviously do and after playing around with computer for years I am used to sorting out problems. 

Most of these devices are disappointing in one or another but if WD implemented every suggestion mentioned on this board then the device would cost a fortune. I would just be happy if it worked perfectly as it was marketed, anything above that would be a bonus.

Rich