Wanted: Official guide on how to expand a fully populated PR4100

Hello everybody!

I have a PR4100 with 4x4TB WD RED disks in a RAID5 configuration. It’s filled up to around 80% and I realize that I will need to buy larger disks eventually. I know the theory around expanding the raid set, hot-swapping one disk at a time and let the NAS rebuild the new disk before continuing with the next drive. However, is there an ‘Official Guide’ around this, covering all the steps I need to take to complete this. Even though I understand what I need to do, it would feel safer to have some kind of instruction to follow, step-by-step so I don’t screw things up.

Also, I’ve heard - net read anywhere - that it should be some limitation on which type of drives you’re able to go from and maybe even to when doing this operation. Is that true? Today I have 4x4TB and I will probably go to 4x10TB (maybe even bigger if I wait even longer).

Any good input or recommendations regarding this would be much appreciated.

Regards
Robert Lie Nilsson

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: My Cloud: RAID Online User Guide and Solutions

Thank you for your answer. However, I cannot find anything regarding my question on the page you linked. What I would like to have is an official how-to guide on how to go from, let’s say 4x4TB RAID-5 setup on a PR4100 to larger disks - without any dataloss.

What I would like to have:

• How it’s done: A step-by-step guide, describing this process.
  • What disks are supported while doing this? (I guess it’s the “Hard Drive Compatibility List for My Cloud PR4100” found in the support pages for PR4100)
  • Given that you use disks that are supported by the cabinet, Is there a limitation on how big RAID-5 set you go to?

If this is, by WD, a supported way of upgrading your NAS, then there ought to be a documented way of doing it. On the other hand, if it’s NOT supported - that’s also quite useful for us to know.

Regards
Robert