My CLOUD vs MY CLOUD HOME in functionality

Hello to all.
2 days ago I bought My cloud home device from WD store and now waiting for delivery.
Before I Buy I read a lot of topics about MY cloud devices. Than I looked in WD topic “Differences Between My Cloud and My Cloud Home”: Error. And what I must to think when see that table? My first idea was thant My cloud home is My cloud update. In that table is no one word about functionality limitations what is in MY CLOUD HOME comparing with MY CLOUD, only tehnical stuff that shows that MY cloud home have better hardware.
Yesterday I start reading WD community and understand that WH MY CLOUD home cant do things that WD cloud can:

1. cannot make public folders to home users (share folders with family);
  2. cannot backup data to external USB HDD or flash disk;
  3. cannot work without internet connection in local LAN (is it true?)!!!
  4. in this topic Shared Folder - #50 by Iceboy64 WD staff ignores user questions for 2 months - no answear.

Now i need to understand some things:
Is really WD MY CLOUD HOME will not work without internet?
Works?:

Not works?

When I transfear data to my cloud home device how data is transfered - can WD stuff give some scheme how it works?

Luckily I hawe 30 day money back warranty and if all my assumptions will be truly than I will use that.

You can’t access your personal user files without active internet connection!!!
There is a share folder that everyone can access it. But no functionality works there! For example if you put some music files there, plex cannot access it because plex works only for personal users space, not share folder!!
And add this one to your problems:
You cannot play even a simple music file from WD app! The app doesn’t have an internal player and cannot open files in players app! :expressionless:
And finally, you cannot access to your personal user files in any third party application! Because they are only accessible via WD Home app :rage:

Will there be any comments from WD staff. Can You answear clearly to MY questions:

1. WHEN and will be possible make public folders to home users (share folders with family)???
  2. WHEN and will be enabled backups to external USB HDD or flash disk???
  3. WHEN and Will My cloud home work without internet connection after next firmwae upgrade???

Please give US the answears - I think many of forum users are waiting…
If YOU dont want to make changes to your software than tell US it clearly.

2 Likes

How to get data form device if I dont have internet connection? Is HDD easy remowable in one bay device? If I remowe HDD and connect it to my PC I will get My data?

I got this feeling that I have bought device, but this device will never fully be my becaude wont work without internet.

Is it possible to manually upgrade the firmware???

What HDD is in devices? Red or Red pro?

WD support when will be answears to My questions?

10:08 min of the video “We are working on a lot of cool new features” and so sweet promises that they will support US…

Lets E-mail that guy from WD - ASK HIM WHERE ARE PROMISED FEATURES???

Video published on 2 september 2017. - THEY ARE WOKRING or SLEEPING

It looks like they fall in to deep sleep and dont want to wake up. The best way to speak to someone is through his pocket so let everybody know not to buy this useless device. I am going to return mine to Amazon this week, what a waisting time

1 Like

wow…i just watched that video again…
what has happened since WD… please tell us …you know who to get in touch with to find out …Praveen

I am tired wait for answears form WD staff. No ansvears in PM too!
Packed device and sending it back.
First and very bad experience with WD NAS and CLOUD solutions, thats why last too. I will look at QNAP or Synology devices.
WD internal hard drives is nice and practical product, but in software WD must learn a lot from competitors.

Still no answears.

An Internet connection is required for the My Cloud Home device. this is used to authenticate the log in.

The Single Bay My Cloud Home is not user serviceable and the HDD cannot be removed.

FW updates are pushed OTA (Over the air). Manual FW update is not supported by the My Cloud Home.

The My Cloud Home uses WD Red HDD.

Thanks for answears. And what is with shared link management? Where can I find all shared links to manage them?

I’m waiting as well. I need shared working space ASAP.

1 Like