Want to do Live Streaming in my house

Hi,

I have been looking at the WD TV live streaming kit and I am trying to get some ideas on setting up something in my house, I tried to email WD but that did nt work as it insisted on me having to fill in some option but would not let me do it, then I tried to call but all the numbers for the world seem to be the same and do not work, so this is my last option, why I a persisting with WD I do not know, anyway I thoought I would talk to the real user community.

I have 2000+ DVD’s and BluRays, a windows server, 8 rooms with TV’s, I want to dump all this on a NAS and then access it throughout the house, now I think that WD have all the kit I need but would like to know if any body has does this with all WD kit.

Any tips or pointers.

Many thanks 

Mike

Happy New Year to all

Mikeyt wrote:

…I think that WD have all the kit I need but would like to know if any body has does this

Well, yeah, pretty much everyone here.

Hey Thanks,

But I would like to understand what you have written,

So why 2 Live Hubs?

Would I not need one Live for each TV.

Are you suggesting the Live + just so I can link to the outside world

Are you suggesting 24Tbyte of storage for the number of movies I have, I thought I would be ok with a 6 or 8 Tbyte Duo

And what is Live SMP

Thankyou for taking the time to respond

Mike

You would need to get 8 WDTV Live Streaming Media Players (SMP), no Hub’s needed for your TV’s. Depending on how you rip your movies your going to need a lot more storage for 2000+ movies than you think. I have 216 BD movies on 6TB’s of storage, saved as movie only in M2TS and MKV format with no compression. I would suggest a  Synology DS1512+ for your storage needs. You can start off small with a 3 drive Raid 5 Array and add 2 more drives when needed.

I would hard wire all your connections with Cat 6 cables. Connect everything to an 8 port switch that connects to your router. Trying to stream HD over Wi-Fi isn’t recommended as it’s hit or miss most of the time.

1 Like

Many thanks, that has been really helpful.

Thanks

Mike

Mikeyt wrote:

Hey Thanks,

But I would like to understand what you have written,

So why 2 Live Hubs?

Would I not need one Live for each TV.

Are you suggesting the Live + just so I can link to the outside world

Are you suggesting 24Tbyte of storage for the number of movies I have, I thought I would be ok with a 6 or 8 Tbyte Duo

And what is Live SMP

Thankyou for taking the time to respond

Mike

The part “===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===” on Tony’s post, is his Signature which is what he has and will appear on all his posts.

Thanks,

I realised that after I sent a reply…

Mike

Mike,

if you do not fancy running ethernet cable through your house to connect the SMPs back to the NAS, then you could look into HomePlug devices. These allow ethernet traffic to be transmitted over your ring mains. At a minimum you would want 200Mbs devices which will allow HD videos to be delivered. However if you think that you would want to handle multiple HD videos at the same time, then you may want to look at HomePlug AV2 which is rated to gigabit class.

The main downside of these devices though is that they are dependant on the quality of the wiring, whereas ethernet (5e or 6) are pretty much immune to interference from outside sources.