Waking up from power schedule off

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Mycloud EX2 ultra and I have a big problem with it

I have set up the power schedule to shut off the NAS at night, but …

If I want to access the NAS while it’s powered off this doesn’t seem to be possible

I have searched all over WD support and they suggest an app called Quick View, now the problem is

this app is not available in the downoads !!

I cannot believe I am having this problem, it must be that I am doing something wrong, because I wouldn’t believe this is how this NAS is supposed to work, there must be a way to overrun the power off schedule

If somebody has a suggestion for this issue I would really appreciate

1 Like

Seriously this place is going downhill now with no moderators nor customers around anymore to answers simple questions :stuck_out_tongue:

We don’t even have the sarcastic customers that tells you to read the non-existent manual.

Anyways the answer to your question is that the power schedule isn’t suppose to be used in that manner; i.e. power down and power back up on a schedule. It will power down on schedule, but you need to pull the plug (yes I’m serious since there isn’t any on/off switch on the EX2), then plug it back in when you want to power it back up.

What you are really looking for is sleep, which depending on your data type it might or might not sleep. When I say depending on your data type, WD has been scanning our data to build thumbnails and other info for DLNA, cloud services, can sometimes interrupt sleep. For the most part the EX2 does sleep.

If you really want to use the power schedule, here is how I would go about it. Combine the power schedule with a smart plug that powers off your EX2 just after your power schedule kicks in (the power schedule safety shuts down your EX2), then when you want the drive to power up again use the smart plug to turn on the power. Great solution to something that wasn’t previously possible except with an EX2.

My 5 cents worth (no pennies in Canada)

4 Likes

HI Ralphael,

thanks for taking your time to answer my simple question

I have not tried plugging in and out the power cable in order to awake the device

That would certainly do the trick

It really seems a bit stupid that WD have overlooked this feature

Raphael, many thanks for answering this as I’ve had a similar problem. I use the power schedule to shut the drive down between midnight and 8am, partially to save power, but mostly because of where the drive is situated the lights are an annoyance (I know I could tape over them, turn the drive around or box it in). It was never a problem until the other night when I had a bout of insomnia and decided I needed to access the drive and … couldn’t. Unplugging it and plugging it back in meant digging behind wall units so I went old school … and read a book until I fell asleep. The thought of tying it into a smart plug never even crossed my mind - you are a genius (as well as a cool looking Canadian ninja turtle)!!!