Wake On LAN with Windows?

Does anyone have their WDTV SMP setup so that  it will wake up a sleeping Windows PC to use a file share?  I have not been able to get the SMP to wake up my PC, and I think it may be related to my network card (I have tried all combinations of settings).  If anyone has been able to get this to work, what is the network card you are using (or chipset for an integrated NIC)?

Doesn’t that require a wake packet from the requesting client?

Some network adapters support wake on “directed packet” in addition to wake on “magic packet” which is supposed to allow a packet with the IP of the sleeping PC in the header to wake it up.  My NIC supports a magic packet (which works, but is not sent by the SMP), and has a setting for directed packet (but it doesn’t seems to wake my PC).  Some NICs support options that will cause an Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) packet to wake a sleeping PC.  I was wondering if anyone was able to get this to work with some combination of hardware and driver settings??

The problem with using settings other than a magic packet to wake a PC is that it may keep waking up accidentally from LAN traffic.  Ideally, the SMP would send a magic packet to wake a PC if it could not find it, but that is not how it currently works.

To resurrect this thread from a couple months ago, I am trying to accomplish the same thing. I really would like to be able to not have my server PC on all the time and at the same time I also don’t want to have to go upstairs and turn it on everytime I want to use my WD TV Live SMP downstairs.

One idea I had was to write a script on my router to monitor the router’s log file for when the SMP gets a DHCP served IP address from the router and then send a magic packet to wake the server PC at that time.  This however doesn’t seem to work for me because the SMP doesn’t seem to ever lose its IP address (even when in standby mode) and therefore monitoring for a new DHCP request at the router level doesn’t work. I use the same method for my PS3 and that works perfectly since the PS3 doesn’t maintain an IP address when turned off.

Does anyone know of anything else I can monitor at the router level or change some setting in the SMP to make it so that I can tell when the SMP comes out of standby mode?

Thank you!

The WDTV will renew its lease if you turn it OFF.   If you just put it in standby, it’s not going to do anything until the DHCP lease reaches its halfway point.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! 

Is there a way to turn off the SMP without physically unplugging the power adapter? I have only owned the device for a few days so please excuse my ignorance.  Thank you!

Hold the power button on the remote down for more than 3 seconds.

Make sure you EJECT any attached USB disks before doing so.

1 Like

Wow thank you for such a fast response – you are super helpful!

And excuse me for complete newbie questions but if I use the power off feature instead of the standby feature, would this impact any of the saved configurations or settings in the SMP in any way or would it simply work the same way once power is restored?

This is exciting news. If I can get the SMP to request a new lease I will be able to finally have some wake-on-LAN goodness and won’t have to keep my server on 24/7!

Now just have to figure out how to program my Harmony 900 remote to send a 3 second long off command… :stuck_out_tongue:

The only difference is how long the boot takes…  From Standby it’s ready in a few seconds.   From OFF, it takes almost a minute…

1 Like