VSFTPD Install

I currently have the WD EX2 device and trying to get a secure ftp server up and running to dump my other laptops data onto the EX2 for backup. The issue is I am seeing that I need to set this up from the root. Before I purchased the drive I was told that the drive supported sftp. I purchased this because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper and it could us sftp. Well now I am trying to understand how to install it. Also what version of linux do the EX2 have installed?

From Western Digitals Site I see that vsftpd is supported as a module.

http://support.wdc.com/download/gpl/gplmodules.asp

VSFTPD Module

ftp://vsftpd.beasts.org/users/cevans

But the link is asking for a username and password.

I was able to wget from 

https://security.appspot.com/downloads/vsftpd-3.0.2.tar.gz

wget https://security.appspot.com/downloads/vsftpd-3.0.2.tar.gz --no-check-certificate

but I am not sure how to get this installed bc out the version of linux or any issues I may come about.

Can anyone give me a little help?

This post is so full of misinformation that I don’t even know where to begin.

First, SFTP is available right out of the box…I do not know why you are trying to install something? It is already running an SSH daemon, which you obviously know by now, since you seem to have ssh’d into it and used wget. Your questions about running processes and what linux version is running could be investigated from within your ssh session itself.

Second, the vsftpd module is supported claim that you make based on that link…where EXACTLY does it say on that page that all the modules on that page are for EX2?? WD has a large line of products and the list of modules listed here can be from any of their products. Why would you assume that this list is for EX2??

Having said that, if you had looked at the running processes, you’d have discovered it is already running Pure-FTPd and that trying to install VSFTPD is completely unnecessary because 1) installing an ftp daemon does not provide you with the ability to SFTP (but an ssh daemon does)…unless you meant FTPS, which is NOT the same thing as SFTP…and 2) why install an ftp daemon when the server has one running already? And SFTP works out of the box, with the only limitation being it is available only for the ssh login account. To use other accounts with SFTP you’ll have to hack the firmware, but is definitely doable. FTPS is available for any accounts you wish to use it with.

When I contacted WD the other day for support, they told me that the device did not support sftp. The tech told me that if I understood linux I could install vsftpd. I have set this up before but not from compile. Only configure from yum install. 

I couldn t find the command to show the version of linux to show BSD, CentOs, Suse, Mandrake or what ever was running.

From  the netstat -a I did not see pure-ftpd was running.

I seen that port 22 was in listening mode.

ps aux shows that PureFTP was running but WD tech I contacted told me that the ex2 didnt support it.

Then 3 party Apps GPL codes came from the bottom of the support page for the ex2:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyCloud_EX2

I am looking to run sftp and not ftps.

where is the pure-ftpd file to configure and could you give me the basic help for setup?

Okay, I think you rely too much on WD tech support for advanced knowledge of the system. They are there to troubleshoot simple things and give you answers to things most folks will use. Asking them about what Linux version is running or if SFTP is supported are not questions most users will have. Use good judgment and find these answers by yourself instead of relying on them for answers to advanced questions. You can very easily Google how to look up the answers to those questions and then find them yourself.

It shows right at login that it is running a BusyBox shell and on further digging you’d find that they are compiling the Linux kernel from scratch. To find out what processes are running, netstat is not what you need to run, but ps -ef. And the 3rd party apps GPL code link that you just provided is VERY different from the link in your original post…so no, that link in your first post did not come from an EX2-specific page…who knows why you decided to rely on that first link to determine what apps are supported.

As for SFTP, if you understand SFTP then you should be able to figure out that it’s already there with the SSH. But like I said before, by default you can only use the ssh login acct. to SFTP…won’t work for other accounts because they don’t have shell access.

The pure-ftpd binary running on the EX2, I believe has been custom compiled by WD from source code and modded to not use the normal config file but rather a custom xml config file, that also stores other settings. Keep in mind, mucking with this config file voids your warranty…so proceed at your own risk. This config file is stored at /etc/NAS-CFG/config.xml and stores other configs as well beyond just ftp. The ftp configs are near the end of the file but not at the very end…just a little before the end. But editing this file is actually futile because if you restart EX2, this file goes away and a new one comes to its place losing all your edits. That’s because the config file is copied from the backup location (from where other config stuff is also copied) at startup. That backup file is /usr/local/config/config.xml - editing this will save your changes and get copied over at boot time. However, as I said in my last answer, which I was typing while you wrote your most recent comment, the ftpd has nothing to do with SFTP. If you don’t know that, then perhaps it is time for you to familiarize yourself with SFTP a bit more than you do now. The ftp configs only affect FTP, not SFTP.

You had said that you didnt understand why I was trying to install vsftpd for sftp because pure-ftpd was already installed. And you are now saying that ftpd does not us sftp?

I would like to set up sftp, wether it was with pure-ftpd or vsftpd. I found sites like  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/vsftpd saying that if I would install ipkg it would install for me. But what I would like it in fact, sftp where I can setup secure transfer. I am aware of how to setup vsftpd because I use it in my centos server enviorment. I am not an expert but I understand how to edit and setup the file but us yum -y install vsftpd to install it.

If you can help me understand where the  files are to be editted so that I can set up the sftp it would be much appreciated. It is part of the reason I purchased this box. I normaly have used synology for my NAS boxes  this it my first western digial NAS. 

jmaurer wrote:

You had said that you didnt understand why I was trying to install vsftpd for sftp because pure-ftpd was already installed. And you are now saying that ftpd does not us sftp?

I think you are misunderstanding my responses. I didn’t tell you that installing vsftpd was futile because pure-ftpd was already running and offers sftp…I said and have been trying to say that it was futile installing it because neither (vsftpd and pure-ftpd) provides SFTP.

I did not understand why you were trying to install vsftpd because vsftpd is an ftp daemon. And so is pure-ftpd. They will provide you with the same functionality…which is FTP (and FTPS). Yet, you have said you are interested in SFTP. I do think you need to lookup what SFTP actually is and why having VSFTPD or Pure-FTPd will not meet your needs. SFTP functionality is ALREADY there. I am sorry but I am frustrated because you still seem unclear about SFTP after I told you to look up what SFTP is. The link you provided is to install vsftpd working…which first, wouldn’t work but even if it did, would not help you accomplish your SFTP goal.

I am done explaining all this. I think it’s time you go do some homework on your own, especially what SFTP is and why an ftp daemon does not offer that, and what does offer it, and why I keep saying SFTP is already available and running on EX2 but has nothing to do with Pure-FTPd.

One final thing I will say is, if you want to use SFTP, then connect via sftp from a client that can do sftp and use the ssh login credentials. No config changes are needed. Simple as that.

P.S. I am pretty sure when you contacted WD about SFTP, they told you that SFTP is not supported…and not that the device doesn’t support it (as it obviously does since it’s running) but that it is an unsupported feature by WD. Unsupported means WD tech support won’t be providing support to get that feature working, but that is NOT the same as the device not capable of it.

I understand what sftp is. I have been using it for years. What I am trying to do is set it up with what ever is available, pure-ftpd is fine. I have been able to connect to sshd user account. What I would like to do  is configure the file so  that I can have multiple usernames and set the home directories and lock them in. I want to use this drive for backup of my system configs and files. I want different accounts for different devices to upload or sync changes.

I have looked up about pure-ftpd and every where I look it is saying to go to /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf. I cant even find the pure-ftpd.conf file to edit.

root@chuckles / # find / -name pure-ftpd.conf
root@chuckles / # find / -name pure-ftpd
/usr/bin/pure-ftpd
/usr/local/modules/bin/pure-ftpd
/etc/pam.d/pure-ftpd

I’m not trying to start a pissing contest. I was explaining how and why I was at what point. Sorry if any way I offended you.

Okay…so you have been using SFTP for years and get it. That’s good.

But it is still unclear to me - if SFTP is what you want to use then why do you keep insisting on configuring Pure-FTPd. Pure-FTPd is NOT what lets you do SFTP.

Anyway, I am pointing you to this this info ONLY because you are wondering where the configs used by Pure-FTPd are stored - not because they will help you configure sftp transfers (they won’t), but they will help you manually configure some ftp settings…and I have already provided this info in my 2nd last response above ->  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/VSFTPD-Install/m-p/849813#M2636

There are no other ftp-related configurable settings beyond the ones in the config.xml. The only other thing you can do is simply enable/disable access to shares from the dashboard.

And for SFTP, as noted several times before, the only user that you can sftp into EX2 is the ssh login acct… (unless you mod the firmware). But because that user is the root user, it has access to all directories (and it’s home is set to /home/root).