VOB Language Problems


#1

I rip only the movie (no menus, trailers, etc.) from a DVD as VOB files using RipIt4Me and DVD Decryptor. I play the files by hitting [Play] on the storage directory, and the WD TV Live streams the VOBs as expected. However, when each new VOB begins, it plays language #1. Some of the VOBs have English as the first, and some do not. Therefore, as each new VOB begins I must be poised on the MENU button, so that I can quickly flip through the languages (usually missing some dialog in the process). Needless to say, this is annoying. (The unexpected delay as it switches VOBs is also annoying, but I can live with that.) Is there anything I can do to fix this?


#2

Converting the VOBs into MKV using Handbrake or MakeMKV would resolve both the language switch and the gaps between VOB files.

http://handbrake.fr/  (Recodes video and audio and places them in an MKV; slower process but smaller resulting filesize)

http://www.makemkv.com/  (leaves video and audio alone, simply wrapping them in an MKV container; faster but large file size)


#3

that’s a quick fix… but we shouldn’t have to go through that much trouble to convert and everything. If we got full DVD and bluray menu support it wouldn’t be as difficult. Also maybe set an option to pick a language for it to start all the time.


#4

Thanks for the suggestion, but as Pantera states, it’s a bit of a hassle to do with every DVD. I definitely would prefer full DVD menu support.


#5

DVD menu support is a priority with WD but still no word on when it will come (but it is meant to be coming).  I’d like to say maybe in the next firmware update but somehow I doubt it.  :(

BD menu support won’t happen because of the Java requirement.  Not sure why the Live doesn’t / can’t handle Java but if you’ve ripped BluRays and are hoping for menu support, you’re out of luck.  


#6

BoxSoft wrote:
I rip only the movie (no menus, trailers, etc.) from a DVD as VOB files using RipIt4Me and DVD Decryptor. I play the files by hitting [Play] on the storage directory, and the WD TV Live streams the VOBs as expected. However, when each new VOB begins, it plays language #1. Some of the VOBs have English as the first, and some do not. Therefore, as each new VOB begins I must be poised on the MENU button, so that I can quickly flip through the languages (usually missing some dialog in the process). Needless to say, this is annoying. (The unexpected delay as it switches VOBs is also annoying, but I can live with that.) Is there anything I can do to fix this?

    • *> Have you named the storage directory VIDEO_TS  for each individual movie. I cannot see how a movie can change soundtracks from vob to vob. You must rip each movie into its own individual folder which must be named VIDEO_TS. The movies should then run continuously without you being aware of the separate vobs it is made up of.

#7

richUK wrote:> You must rip each movie into its own individual folder which must be named VIDEO_TS.

Or rip them as ISOs which implies this folder as has been mentioned here again and again. Maybe it’s time WD put up a FAQ on this board.


#8

My directory is not named VIDEO_TS. I’ve read here that hitting Play on the containing directory does the same thing, regardless of what it is called. Perhaps it was a requirement earlier on, but has been enhanced in a later update. Regardless, I’ll try that to see if it helps, but I would be surprised if it did.


#9

BoxSoft wrote:
My directory is not named VIDEO_TS. I’ve read here that hitting Play on the containing directory does the same thing, regardless of what it is called. Perhaps it was a requirement earlier on, but has been enhanced in a later update. Regardless, I’ll try that to see if it helps, but I would be surprised if it did.

Where did you read about this enhancement in a later update?

You are correct that hitting play on a directory does play all the files but the directory named VIDEO_TS is treated as special by the WDTV Live.

WD Knowledge base (answer ID 5351

When trying to play a group of VOB files, there is a lag between the files and difficulties rewinding to locations in different VOB files. The WD TV Live HD Media Player may also show the length of the individual VOB file instead of the length of the movie.

Cause:  
Many encoding programs will put VOB’s in a VIDEO_TS folder. The WDTV Live requires these VOB files to be in a VIDEO_TS folder to play correctly. If the files are located in a folder with a different name this behavior will occur.

Solution:  
This issue is solved by simply placing the files into a properly named folder. Follow the instructions below if you need assistance doing this.

  1. Connect your storage device to a computer
  2. Navigate to the folder (using  My Computer  /  Computer  on a PC or  Finder  on MacOSX) that contains the video VOB files
  3. Create a folder in this directory called VIDEO_TS
  4. Copy the VOB files to the VIDEO_TS folder
  5. Safely remove your storage device from the computer

#10

Ok, I’ll definitely give the VIDEO_TS thing a try, as it sounds like it might help. Thanks!