Vob files

how to i set up my vob files …at the moment i have a set in my sci fi folder and they have ‘taken over’…i cannot access any of the other files and when i try to enter the folder the vob files start playing immediately ??

If you have vob files, you should also have ifo files, correct? If so, then you can put your ifo files with the corresponding vob files in an folder named as you like. Then this folder stands for a video track (e.g. a movie).

Do you press OK or Play if you enter your folders?

i put the ifo and the vob in together in a folder named VIDEO_TS…(.i thought i read somewhere this is what you are supposed to do)…perhaps not ??

I do not use the wd remote…i have everything on my harmony one and  press the ok button to enter the folder

I have the following structure and it works on WD SMP…

<MOVIE_NAME_FOLDER>

Again under the above folder, have another folder with the same movie name

<MOVIE_NAME_FOLDER>

Now under this folder create a new folder VIDEO_TS

Under the VIDEO_TS folder keep all the DVD files (e.g.vob etc).

By doing this way it gets the contents info and shows the thumnail as well at folder level.

so i name a folder…terminator and in that folder have another named terminator and in that folder i have a VIDEO_TS folder and in there i place the vob and IFO files ???

I have currently tried that. It’s enough, if you create a folder with the movie name. In this folder make a folder with VIDEO_TS. In this folder copy your vobs, ifos. Then the WD will create the movie info in the folder with the movie name.

@megamark

i put the ifo and the vob in together in a folder named VIDEO_TS…(.i thought i read somewhere this is what you are supposed to do)…perhaps not ??

I do not use the wd remote…i have everything on my harmony one and  press the ok button to enter the folder

I think from memory, if you have your dvd rips in a VIDEO_TS  folder you need to press the “PLAY” button on your WDTV Remote for them to play with “Menus and Scene Selections”.

(also in the WDTV ‘Setup’ there is an ‘Option’ for DVD Menus)

If they were in “ISO” Format, then the “OK” button on the WDTV remote works fine.

Personally, i use/rip to ISO,  1 movie.iso  , 1 movie.jpg , 1 movie.xml , neat  and tidy , no hassles.

yes, the reason for having two folders one below the other is to enable the WD SMP to show the movie poster in galary mode while browsing. If not done it will not show the poster. I have also placed a file called folder.jpg under the first folder which is a movie poster. Prior to the last update it used the folder.jpg to display the image, after the latest update it uses its downloaded ones.

Thumbnails work fine on the Hub in all Views, must be different for the SMP.

movie.iso

movie.jpg

movie.xml

so i tried a folder named VIDEO_TS inside a folder named terminator inside another folder named terminator but no luck with before mentioned problem…what in happening now is that the folder,sci-fi ,is no longer accessable in video selection from the interface in any view :neutral_face: however it is available form the files option only from the interface which is not how i want it set up…any other ideas about setting up vob and ifo files

I am assuming you are using WD LIVE SMP.

I have had same issue before where one of the folder is not visible when i browse in the vedios section. The only way I could get that working is by copying again with a different folder. Once it was visible I deleted the old folder.

As mentioned earlier I have different folder setup for DVD and MKV.

For DVD it is as follows:

e.g.

MOVIES

----------->DVD

------------------->TERMINATOR

---------------------------------------->terminator.jpg

---------------------------------------->TERMINATOR

------------------------------------------------------------->VIDEO_TS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------> All the dvd files are in this folder

For MKV it is as follows:

MOVIES

------------>AVATAR

------------------------->Avatar.mkv

------------------------->Avatar.jpg

So when I browse in gallery view I can see the folder and its picture. When I select the folder I get to see that movie details. I can now press the play button and the DVD would play.

thanks for your reply.and yes i have the smp…i think we have a different set up…in gallery view i can browse the thumbs and see the movie details without having to enter the folder, mkv,avi whatever…dont seem to be able to get the same with vob and ifo,if i remove them my sci fi folder then that folder will magically reappear where i want it to be