Vob audio cuts out

2nd post.

My wdtv live won’t play vob files properly over wireless. The audio cuts out after a few seconds and the video appears glitchy.

The media player does play vob files if they are stored locally via jump drive.

Is there some sort of setting to enable vob playback over wireless?

blacky wrote:

2nd post.

Sorry, what?

blacky wrote:

Is there some sort of setting to enable vob playback over wireless?

No, just sounds like your wireless network can’t handle the bandwidth.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me Tony.

Wireless bandwidth is not large enough to transmit vob files?..? I would think lots of people would have this issue. WD codec issue? WD firmware issue?

MP4 files transmit over my network just fine. And I’ve just discovered that I can successfully transmit vob files over my wireless using playon but then have issues playing vob files sequentially.

How much bandwidth is necessary? WDTV LIve is wireless and supports vob playback. I don’t see doc saying vob is only supported locally…

I’m not saying it’s a limitation of the WDTV.  I am saying that your wireless connection appears to be unable to maintain the 15mbps (approx) to stream DVD VOBs.

PlayOn is a transcoding DLNA server, so saying it works via PlayOn doesn’t mean much.

Which WiFi dongle are you using in your WDTV?

I’m not using a dongle. I thought wdtv live had wireless inboard

Then you’re in the wrong forum.  

This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions
The forum for the 2014 WD TV Media Player is here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/bd-p/wdtv_media_player

1 Like

So now this WD box has completely stopped working. 

I unplugged it to reset it and afterwards it will not connect to windows shares or my media server. So I did a hard reset and now it’s decided to not output ntsc. All I see is WD scrolling on my screen. 

I’m really regretting getting this media box. Sure doesn’t work as advertised.

blacky wrote:

So I did a hard reset and now it’s decided to not output ntsc. All I see is WD scrolling on my screen. 

Did you hold the button down for more than a second or so?  If so, you probably switch the composite output from NTSC to PAL mode.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

blacky wrote:

So I did a hard reset and now it’s decided to not output ntsc. All I see is WD scrolling on my screen. 

Did you hold the button down for more than a second or so?  If so, you probably switch the composite output from NTSC to PAL mode.

to add to what Tony said …

rtfm … http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

1 Like

thanks for getting back to me. 

Held button 10 seconds per internet

sorry no kudos star that I can see

ok, found the star. 

Have reset box back to ntsc.

Anyone know how I get back to original view or UI?  I hit the reset instead of restart by mistake and my UI has totally changed…

Ok, never mind. I figured it out…

Ok, everything’s back to normal. 

Now I need to figure why I can’t play dvd files. Vob files play fine from local storage. But if I try to play the same files from my server share or thru PlayOn MyMedia I can’t play them.

I am trying to turn off wireless to see if bandwidth is an issue. Once wireless has been enabled what do I do to use a wired connection?

So I reset the box again with an ethernet cable plugged into my router and the box. Then I run thru the usual setup like choosing a language and it detects the internet. 

But it will not detect the windows shares that are detected using wireless. I want to determine if using a wired connection to stream vob files will work since there are playback issues using wireless

Why are windows shares detected using wireless but not wires?. 

wired

bmp

It was postulated that the reason I could stream vob videos wired but not wireless was due to a throughput issue with my wireless network. I verified that I have about 90-120 mbps wireless bandwidth and a gigabit ethernet adapter on my computer. 

It seems to me that my bandwidth is large enough to allow decent throughput that should allow for vob streaming…

Do ISOs work OK for you?   ISOs are most definitely preferred…  One file instead of a whole set of directories is much easier to manage…

I don’t know if they would work. Not looking forward to converting all my video. And they do play with a wired connection.

One reason I got the media player is that it supported vob files…