VLC & Locked Shares

Hi all,

first time on the forum so be gentle.  I’ve just purchased the My Cloud 4Tb Drive and so far am happy with it.  I have a question regarding VLC being able to access locked Shares.  I have set up a folder on the drive for my daughters movies, but it seems that (with VLC ) she can access all my other films on the locked Shares as well.  Will I have to re-format all her movies onto MP4 or M4V so that she can use the My Cloud App on her Ipad? I’m hoping here is a better soution and one (in my limited experience) that I’ve missed.

I did have a trawl around the forum first to see if there was anything in a previous post that could help, but unfortunately i didn’t find anything.

Thanks in advance 

Chris

If the share she’s supposed to access is only available to her user on the Cloud it should work, and should not allow her to access shares to which she’s not allowed.

Check the permissions you’ve defined in the cloud for those shares.

When I open the WD app on her iPad, it just shows her folder and no others which is fine. But if I open VLC on her device it shows all the video folders and they are all accessible. Not sure what else to try.

ChrisQ67 wrote:
When I open the WD app on her iPad, it just shows her folder and no others which is fine. But if I open VLC on her device it shows all the video folders and they are all accessible. Not sure what else to try.

Oh, you’re using VLC on an iPad?

That’s not using network shares, that’s using DLNA to access the media server on the cloud.

DLNA (doesn’t matter who makes the server or the app) does not allow for share-based access control per user.

If you don’t want anyone to be able to access the stuff on ALL shares, then you can’t use DLNA.

You’ll need to use some other app that uses Network Share (a/k/a Samba, SMB, CIFS, etc) access instead of DLNA.

Thanks for the help.  I’ve downloaded a file browser/video player from app store, any movies that are incompatible I’ll reformat them to another type.  Thanks again.