Vista laptop does not see WD Boxes

Could use some help with this one. My Vista machine does not see my WD box’s shares unless there is a windows7 machine on the network.

My configurations is

WDLIVEPLUS
WDLIVEHUB
WINDOWS 7 Server
Windows Vista Laptop
all machines are wired ethernet to hub

Recently I noticed that when I do not have the Windows7 machine on, the Vista machine cannot see the WD boxes on the network. It see them as the web login icons but not as computers that I can connect to and view the drives.

Turn on the windows7 machine and voila, they appear in my network group. I can then shut off the windows7 machine and I still see and have access to the WD boxes.

I do not recall having this issue in the past, but it’s hard to tell as most often the windows7 server is on (using it for a download box)

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue. Sometype of workgroup setting? I cant imagine why I would need a win7 box to get the netbios names of my wd boxes.

As a side note, prior to having a livehub I do not recall ever having this issue with just the liveplus

Thanks in advance

-P

If your VISTA box doesn’t see them, is the VISTA box in the same WORKGROUP name as all the other devices?

See if this tutorial for troubleshooting helps:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

Thanks, that’s an amazing article, big props for writing it.

Machines are in the same workgroup simply “WORKGROUP”, but I am having issues with the vista box doing a “new view” from a CMD so I am assumin it has something to do with that. I’ll go through your article a bit more in depth and see what i can come up with. 

Like I said, though, as long as there is a windows7 box on the net… the vista box sees the WDs. I just retested. Vista saw no shares it could attach to. I then booted a Assus mini-laptop with win7 and we are up and running clean.

Thanks for the help and the great article. Ill let you know how it goes

-P