Video won't play after using iplayer

Was hoping someone could help with the following problem please:

When using the WDTV Live to watch mkv files stored on attached USB Hard drives (unpowered) they play absolutely fine UNTIL you go into iplayer or other apps, watch something there, and then try to watch another video from the usb hard drive.  The device will hang with the orange circlular arrow going round and round, but no films will ever play.  The same happens if I navigate to the Files and try to open a film (or jpg) through there.

The only solution I have found is to power off and on the device, or choose device restart through menus.

Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

I have not yet rolled back the firmware but have tried with variety of drives.  As far as I can be sure it is not a problem with the drives or files themselves (ie they work, and do work on the WDTV, but not AFTER iplayer has been used).

Am using WDTV Live SMB, with attached local storage (unpowered 1 and 2tb hdd) with latest firmware (2.02.36I believe)

Many thanks

luxybaby wrote:

Am using WDTV Live SMB, with attached local storage (unpowered 1 and 2tb hdd) with latest firmware (2.02.36I believe)

WDTV Live SMP ( S treaming M edia P layer)

SMB , stands for Server Message Block, is a protocol for sharing files.

no such thing as Firmware 2.02.36…  To check your firmware number  Press Setup > About to get your Device Info

Many, Many similar posts to yours  ie. after watching online services local videos don’t play … search the forum

2 options, wait until the next firmware release (which will hopefully fix the issues) or Rollback to a previous Firmware Revision … again, search the forum

I have searched and browsed extensively and unfortunately have not been able to find any articles.

Would you be able to provide a link to any relevant articles please?

Thanks

See the box at the Top of the Web Page … to the left of the “Search” button ?

Here’s one relevant post … i’ll let you test drive the search function for more info

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Firmware-2-02-32-cant-play-any-network-media-after-using-BBC/m-p/788927/highlight/true#M32876

1 Like

Thank you for directing me to that, it was helpful and I will roll back the firmware

Also, numerous pages reporting “memory leaks”

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Firmware-2-02-32-Bugs-Lots-of-Problems-need-fixing-ASAP/td-p/778485

Apologies, if i sounded harsh … but the information is there, with a lttle searching :neutral_face:

If you decide to Rollback Firmware … here is my easy to follow guide (if you have any questions, feel free to ask :smiley:  )

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/m-p/781937#M32423 

1 Like

No need to apologise, I can fully understand the frustration of people posting incorrectly and needlessly, I appreciate the advice you gave.  FWIW, the SMB acronym was my mistake entirely (I assumed “box” rather than “player”), and the firmware number was a small mistake - I would’ve checked but the box is my father’s.  I did find searching the forums very difficult however - I had browsed the first 30 or so pages (of 177) for something similar and felt I may as well post myself as I would imagine it would be a common problem and wanted to “bump” it higher - but in terms of phrases to search for i tried video won’t play, media won’t play, can’t open video after app, can’t play mkv after internet, etc. with and without "s, and still couldn’t find anything relevant so I am very grateful for your response.  Rollback was easier to search for and find and I have donwloaded the previous firmware in zip and will check out your guide now. 

I will persevere with the WDTV as when it works it is fantastic, it has so much potential, and (discounting xbmc players which aren’t without issue either) seems to offer the most as a settop player/streamer.

Thanks again

Thank you luxybaby , no probs :smiley:

The WDTV is a great little media player … but not without little bugs (which every electronics has)

Yes, i’ve been trying to migrate back to XBMC (but too many bugs for for my liking … and everything is device specific, ie. SPMC runs great on my Tablet (but official XBMC not so great) but i do use XBMC on my PC for the Media Library to sort and grab Metadata / Info / Thumbnails / Fanart … which works great, and i can import into the WDTV)

Bought an Android TV Box a while ago (RK3188 1.6GHZ Quad-Core and all … 1080p Playback was sub-par (jittery) compared to my WDTV)  returned it, got a refund, and happy i still have my WDTV(s)  yep, i own “several now” over the years.

I’ll be honest, one *trick* with searching i do … go to “Google” and type…  wdtv [and my question]  and it will find the info sometimes quicker and better  (i mainly do this for previous posts of mine … works a little better than the forum search)