Video streaming to WDTV Live hub slow

Hi,

I have a WDTV Live Hub and a WD Mybooklive Duo. On the Mybook live Duo I have ripped and  stored my old DVD’s and Blu Ray’s.

In my previous network setup I had the Mybook Duo connected to an Ethernet network switch wich also was connected to the WDTV Live Hub. I could easily access and stream my DVD’s and Blu Rays on the MybookLive Duo to the WDTV Live Hub. The network switch was also connected to a powerline adapter, providing all devices access to the internet.

However, also on the Mybook was my Itunes library stored. Whenever I wanted to synchronise my ipad or iphone it took almost forever to do so, because the Mybooklive Duo was also connected through that ethernet switch to a powerline plug of Devolo (Devolo Dlan 200 AVmini). My PC was also connected to a powerplug, so I have a wired network over the electricity.

So I changed the setup and I connected now the Mybooklive with a ethernet network switch to the PC so I can access my Itunes library quicker. Now the WDTV live hub and the Mybook LIve communicate over the powerline adapters.

But now when I stream media it is very slow.

Is there any way to keep the current setup (communication of the two devices over the powerline adapters instead of "next to each other over an ethernet switch)? Can I alter some settings in order to make sure data transfer runs smoother over the powerline adapters?

When I transfer (copy or paste) files I have a semi constant speed of 4 MB/s.
Or do I invest in more speedy powerline adapters like the Devolo Dlan 500?

Any tips are more than welcome.

You could try using a wireless USB adapter on the WDTV. Check the link below for some compatible models.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688

RobbyH wrote:

Hi,

I have a WDTV Live Hub and a WD Mybooklive Duo. On the Mybook live Duo I have ripped and  stored my old DVD’s and Blu Ray’s.

In my previous network setup I had the Mybook Duo connected to an Ethernet network switch wich also was connected to the WDTV Live Hub. I could easily access and stream my DVD’s and Blu Rays on the MybookLive Duo to the WDTV Live Hub. The network switch was also connected to a powerline adapter, providing all devices access to the internet.

However, also on the Mybook was my Itunes library stored. Whenever I wanted to synchronise my ipad or iphone it took almost forever to do so, because the Mybooklive Duo was also connected through that ethernet switch to a powerline plug of Devolo (Devolo Dlan 200 AVmini). My PC was also connected to a powerplug, so I have a wired network over the electricity.

So I changed the setup and I connected now the Mybooklive with a ethernet network switch to the PC so I can access my Itunes library quicker. Now the WDTV live hub and the Mybook LIve communicate over the powerline adapters.

But now when I stream media it is very slow.

Is there any way to keep the current setup (communication of the two devices over the powerline adapters instead of "next to each other over an ethernet switch)? Can I alter some settings in order to make sure data transfer runs smoother over the powerline adapters?

When I transfer (copy or paste) files I have a semi constant speed of 4 MB/s.
Or do I invest in more speedy powerline adapters like the Devolo Dlan 500?

Any tips are more than welcome.

I am a little confused when you say the media is slow, do you mean it’s slow and buffers and you are getting break up, or do you mean transferring files from the external to the internal.

If the Hub was fine on the network before you stuck it on the powerline adapters, then yes for sure they are to blame, but before you spend more money on higher bandwidth adapters, make sure it is not your wiring that is the issue. I don’t have any myself, but if the wiring in your house is not great then it will limit the bandwidth.

What size files are you trying to stream ? Personally I would not use a wireless adapter unless they are quite close, which I assume they are not or you would not be using power adapters, as you will probably end up in the same boat with anything other than DVD Rips.

My advice would be get a roll of Network cable and hard wire it all together, as anything else is a waste of money and time imo.

It is slow and buffers. Playing DVD or bluray makes it break up amd buffer constantly. So I put it back to the original set up by connecting the nas with the wdtv hub via en Ethernet switch and cables. However I invested in the higher powerline adapters and now file transfer via iTunes works better, so not the perfect solution, but still better than chosing between slow library iTunes or slow media on wdtv hub. Thanks for the tips. I guess my electric wiring is quite old and maybe I don’t get the full speed.