Video lag streaming to Iphone 6

I have a WD Mycloud 2TB connected to the Ethernet port of my Netgear wndr3400V3. I have recorded some 1080p 60fps videos with my GoPro Hero3+, copied the files to the MyCloud and am now trying to show friends the videos by streaming them to my Iphone 6.

The problem I am experiencing is that the videos are very choppy/laggy when streaming to the Iphone 6, whether by WiFi or LTE. The same files play fine when playing on my Imac (wired) connected to the same LAN. The files also play wll when streaming over WiFi to my LG television (also on the same LAN). 

Why the lag when streaming to my Iphone? Any suggestions on what to try? 

Thakns for your time. 

Its likely due to the age of your router as its not gigabit, it’s 10/100 fast ethernet (which isn’t fast) and theorhettically only supports 300+300mbps.

Is your iPhone on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band?

Is your router connected to your modem via CAT5e or CAT6 cable?
What type of video files are they?

What are the specs of the video files, audio/video codec, compression, size and container?

But if it is the router wouldn’t streaming over Wifi to my TV yield the same (laggy) results? 

Same results whether using my WiFi or on other WiFi’s about the town/work, etc. 

Files are .MP4’s - 1080p, 60fps. That’s all the info I can provide on that until I can get home to  my desktop.

Using cat 5 cables.

thanks!

I didn’t notice the "Same results whether using my WiFi or on other WiFi’s about the town/work, etc. "

You will seriously want to connect the mode/router via CAT5e minimum. 

CAT5

Cat 5 is the slowpoke of the bunch. It can handle 10/100 Mbps speeds (Fast Ethernet) at up to 100 MHz bandwidth.

CAT5e

Cat 5e (Cat 5 enhanced) is currently the most commonly used in new installations. A step above Cat 5, it can handle 1000 Mbps speeds (gigabit Ethernet) at 100 MHz.

CAT6

Category 6 is a major improvement over Cat 5e. It’s really just the bee’s knees. It’s suitable for up to 10 gigabit Ethernet at 250 MHz. To even better tackle the issue of that pesky crosstalkin’, Cat 6 cable has an internal separator that isolates pairs from one another. For those who want to “future-proof” their residential or commercial network as much as possible without a significant cost increase, Cat 6 is a great choice.

Let me know when you get home what video and audio codec they are, the container and the file size. Also, I assume you have DLNA turned on via the WD Cloud? Have you also tried to rebuild and rescan the DLNA database?

Also, what app are you using on your iPhone to play/view the videos? Do you also have an iPad to test if the issue persist on the iPad?

What app are you using on your Mac to view the videos?

Its likely a codec issue as the iPhone/iOS doesn’t support a lot of audio and video codecs, while my 2012 Samsung TV (non-smart TV) supports more than my iPhone 6.

for short (5-10’) cables cat 5 is fine. the spec is for up to 100M, the longer you are the mire criticle the cable 

for “about town/work” access your Internet upload speed could be a real limiting factor, check your upload speed with somthing like speedtest.net

More info. Cables are 6’ Cat5e cables. Replacing them has had no positive change. 

Speedtest result for at home (video lags);

Download Upload Latency
26938 6363 16

Here is the media info for one of the files that plays “laggily” on Iphone 6;

File: /GOPR9917.MP4
Size: 387.9 MB
Format: QuickTime/MPEG-4/Motion JPEG 2000 format
Stream count: 3
Duration: 00:01:47
Bit rate: 30241 kb/s
Meta info:
compatible_brands: avc1isom
minor_version: 0
creation_time: 2015-01-18 09:36:54
major_brand: avc1

Stream 0
Type: video
Codec: h264
Codec profile: High
FourCC: avc1
Width: 1920
Height: 1080
Sample aspect ratio: 1:1
Display aspect ratio: 16:9
Pixel format: yuvj420p
Frame rate: 59.95 fps
Bit rate: 30005 kb/s
Meta info:
handler_name: GoPro AVC
language: eng

Stream 1
Type: audio
Codec: aac
FourCC: mp4a
Bit rate: 128 kb/s
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Sample format: s16
Channel: 2
Meta info:
handler_name: GoPro AAC

Stream 2
Type: data
Meta info:

Verified that this same file plays great when streamed to my WiFi television (No lagging). The file also plays well on my hardwired Imac.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated!

Holy cow, dude… At 30mbps, that bit rate is only 12 times faster than what Apple supports…

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

Only 2.5mbps is supported for that format.

Wow, yea the iPhone hardware cannot handle that extreme bitrate, I knew it was something with the file compression.

You need to re-encode the file and compress it for it not to lag. Your Mac and TV hardware are significantly better and can handle the file.

Thank you for your responses. 

It was my lack of understanding of the amount of data being delivered that formd my unrealistic expectations. That’s for offering the responses. In the future I will try recording at a lower resolution.