Video Freezes Up

After about 2 -3 minutes of play the video image stalls/freezes. It looks likes the device  crashes because i can’t use the homebutten any more. but there’s still an image on the screen (usualy some stripy pattern consisting of the collors of teh image before the freeze up). I have to push the power button to get my hoem menu again. All video’s  share the  same problem. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums.

A couple of questions – how are you playing these (via locally attached disc drive, USB flash drive, or via network?)  And can you post the details of one of the videos?  (Use something like media info).

hi mike,

i’ve played them using a usb -drive locally  on the machine and via a network ( as mediaserver) the results/effects are the same. Couple of minutes good video then a blurry screen. I’ve played avi’s, and mpeg 1/2 ( dvd) sof far. Ii use a Mac to put it the files on the harddisk. The harddisk is formatted as FAT 32.

via network, i would think any crashing or freezing would be due to the PC.

when i use network shares, it only hiccups or freezes/stutteres if i have doing something major that takes up a lot of CPU usage, like burning extracting a dvd, burning a movie, downloading a large file etc.

just to let you know. I attached a harddrive to the WD device. There is no PC involved. I plays from the harddisk and then the image just freezes… reboot is now the only remedy…

MacEef wrote:

just to let you know. I attached a harddrive to the WD device. There is no PC involved. I plays from the harddisk and then the image just freezes… reboot is now the only remedy…

can you test the HD on a different device?  attach it to your PC and see if it plays fine thru the PC and monitor

this works perfectly… Checked the harddisk as well. No bad sector. HD is a 750Gb LaCie (external)  drive with firewire and usb connections. I use the USB on the WD. 

If the files are mastered correctly the Live unit may be defective, but I do suspect those files.  Since you’re on a Mac, try this – run any one of those files (preferably a short one) through Handbrake, using the High Profile but change the output to an MKV file.  See how the resultant file plays (it’s kind of the gold standard as it will iron out any authoring issues on a file).

it looks like the HD is the problem. When i run yhe file from my Mac everthing is ok. When i run them from the disk there’s a problem. Mayby i try to reformat the disk to HFS, see if that helps. Haven’t encountered any problem yet running the files from my Mac…