Very Old WD model I forgot I had

While cleaning out a closet I found a very old WD external hard drive I had forgotten I had bought. I have no idea what is even on it. It is Model WD 50000HIU-00 SN WCASU0370311 . Funny it still had the wall plug in cord attached to it, but there is no USB cord. Not even sure if I can buy one. Can anyone tell me if I can & would it be worth it to see if I can even get any files off of it. Thank you

Of course you can … it’s most probably a USB AB Cable which costs a few dollars.

It typically was used for Printers but older external hard drives used them as well. My 10+ Year WD Externals use them.

COU2AB02_comsol_comsol_usb_2_0_a_b_cable_2m_black

There are lots of things you can try to see if there are any files on it, is it worth your time and money ?

Can’t answer that for you.

1 Like

Well I have a few printer cables weren’t using. I guess I’ll try to see if that fits into it. If it does I’ll plug it in with a prayer lol. Thank you. I’ll be back

It isnt that kind of plug cord

I guess I need to know how to contact the company for a cord as Ive not got anything like this here.

It is called a mini USB connector and should be very easy to come by. It is still widely used in electronics more than a few years old. Just about any electronics store should have one. I am actually looking for the specifications on the power adapter. Any chance you can send a picture of that? It would be greatly appreciated.

oh my gosh wow thank yes here is a pic of that

i really should have cleaned it up first sorry

aktopgun is correct … it’s a mini USB connector, which you can buy from everywhere (ebay, amazon, computer store, electronics retailer etc… anywhere that sells computer accessories should have them, or be able to get them)

Power Supply … looks ok to me even though the Model numbers of your hard drive i can’t find any info about (maybe take a picture of the model p/n number as well)

for reference : Power Adapters for Western Digital Products

Trivia: Ventilation holes in the picture are also Morse Code :slight_smile:

sorry what is a model p/n number> Morse code seriously. What do they spell out ??