Verizon FIOS Router & WD TV Live Plus

I felt like I should post this since it took me hours upon hours to figure out a solution with absolutely no help from this forum.  So I hope this helps someone…

I purchased the WD HD Live Plus about a week ago and was not able to get it working properly for the first 2-3 days.  It turned out that I needed to tweak a setting in my router in order to get anything that was watchable to stream to my device over a wired connection.  I have a cat6 cable running out of my router, into my WD TV Live Plus, then an HDMI cable and a digital audio cable going from the WD into my receiver.  All of the network settings, video settings and cables were configured correctly, but it still was not working.  In the end, what worked was logging into my router (which for most people would be 192.168.1.1) and going into ‘Advanced+’ → 'Quality of Service (QoS) → ‘Traffic Priority’ and adding QoS input and output rule that changed the traffic priority for any traffic in or out of the WD to “Priority 7-High”.  Once I did that, the WD device worked like a charm.  

1 Like

I assume that this works because you were using the router for only things and this has just made the WDTV a top priority.

I’m curious what kind of router this is.  

QoS policies “generally” are only enforced when you’re going through the ROUTER to the INTERNET, not between different switch ports.

There are some (fairly advanced) switches out there that have priority queuing available on the switch ports, but not many…

Oh, never mind.  You did say FiOS, so I’m guessing this is an ActionTec router, which is rather advanced, but I don’t believe it has ANY method of controling QoS on the switch ports. 

Where you only having problems with Internet stuff like YouTube or whatnot?  Or were you having problems accessing local content?

I’m perplexed…

My router does have QoS priority settings that can be configured for any device/ip address/protocol/network object, etc. The priority settings can even be set up for certain times of day. My problem was not with web content, but with my LAN Ethernet connection. I’ll put up a screen shot of the configuration when I get back home. I use my fios Internet connection liberally, but still the bandwidth tweak gave me plenty to get a 1080p .264 .mkv Dolby digital DTS file of Avitar to look as nice as if it were a blu-ray disc.

Yeah, I don’t disagree… But, usually QoS settings only are applied when crossing a router interface.   

I’m a CISCO certified pro, so I don’t claim to be an expert on ActionTec, but on a Cisco box, those settings would be ignored by the switch.

I’d love to see your screen scrapes.   Curious what you’ve done!  (I have FiOS, too, but I don’t use the switch.)

I’m Cisco certified too, but as you know, Cisco has their own way of doing things that consumer router manufacturers probably don’t incorporate into their products.  Here’s the shot…

I actually changed the setting to 6 because 7 is supposed to be reserved for critical traffic…not that it probably matters much on my 10 node home network.

Gotta wait for the moderators to approve your pics… :frowning:

So, you’re actually running so much other data through the switch that this makes that big of a difference, huh?

No, that’s the strange part and why it took me so long to figure out the solution.  I didn’t think that there was a bandwidth issue, but when I changed the priority everything seemed to work the way it was supposed to.

I just bought my WD TV LIVE PLUS a few days ago and have been using it wired directly to my Verizon Fios ActionTec router and my external HDD which is usually for back up purposes only.

I have the Fios ActionTec MI424-WR rev. E.

I want to move my WD LIVE+ to my entertainment center in the liveroom and need to connect wirelessly.

What is the BEST way to do this using my ActionTec MI424-WR rev E router?

Thank you for assistance in advance!

Jason

You’ll need a compatible 802.11g adapter for your WDTV Live+ .

But don’t be surprised if the streaming isn’t very good, because Wireless G can be dodgy when dealing with content that needs more than about 6 or 7 Mbps.

Tony,

Can you recommend a specific Wireless adapter to be purchased?

Thanks.

Jason

I’m using the CIsco WUSB 600N

1 Like

Thank you Tony.

…but I’m NOT using the wireless part of the MR-424.    I’m using separate Linksys E3000s for my wireless.

You won’t be happy with HD video if you plan on using an 802.11g connection. Upgrade your wireless to dual-band n by purchasing another router. There are tutorials out there on how to replace or add on to your Verizon router…

Josh,

Right now I don’t have any HD TV’s. (Someone who does not run out and buy the newest and greatest TV when my less than 10 yr old Panasonic is just fine for my small home theater system)…Have to spend wisely having a fairly new family of twins!!

Using my WD for mostly streaming my mp3 collection, internet radio, home videos/pictures and some movies.

Eventually I will go HD.

… fairly new family of twins!!

Congrats!   I went through that about 15 years ago…  :)  By the time you’re ready to start investing in your own new toys, all of this discussion will be completely irrelevent because HD will be all 3D, with Smell-o-Vision, and 2160p or higher.

Thank you, we so far survived the first 18 months!!!

I pretty much made my decision…Think i’m going to try the WUSB600N although I know the the ActionTec does not support wireless N just to move my WD + to the living room and get it hooked up. Then either Thanksgiving or end of year I’ll purchase a new wireless router/acess point to replace the ActionTec wireless.

Jason

Tony,

I bought my WUSB600N wireless adapter and it works great! Thank you!

:smiley: