Verifying / Differentiating between backup dates/versions

Hello - I need to know if someone can tell me how I can verify that the WD Smartware backup application is actually performing as setup. In particular, I am wanting to verify that the software is actually KEEPING (storing) the default 5 historical versions it is supposed to be keeping. I would like to be able to “browse / explore” to the WD hard drive and drill down the folder that contains the backuped files to see if they are differentiated by a “timestamp / date”.

I am volunteering at a non-profit organization - assisting them with backing up the PCs they use - aprox 8 of them. We are using the external WD My Book Essential - USB 3.0 to manually backup their important files - mostly MS Office , photos and the like…as well as their Outlook PST files.

All of the PCs obviously have different Computer names - and get backed up under a folder using their Computer name. I believe that the WD Smartware did this automatically - but I don’t recall 100% if it did this or not - or IF I set the backups up this way…

I can assume that between backups…the Outlook PST files would certainly change and perhaps some NEW Word or Excel files would be created…hence they would be easy enough to differentiate…

I have only been onsite once to back up the PCs in question - apparently the users have backed them up once again…and I would like to verify that the different “backup dates” are actually verifiable somehow…by visual inscpection of the files on the WD hard drive.

Hopefully what I have described is understood…if not please feel free to request additional info. I plan on visiting the non-profit org next week…and would like to verify that the 2nd backup has actually “worked” and is verifiable by visual inspection of the files on the WD hard drive.

Thanks to all who assist or who might benefit from my question !!

Regards.

as a follow up to the above question - I have done some research and have seen that the different versions of backed up files ARE available through the Retrieve function of Smartware…
In the PDF version of the WD Smartware Software User Manual , version 1.6.x under “Retrieving Backed Up Files” section - “How the Retrieve Function Works” – step 5. indicates that you have to place a check mark in a box to SHOW older files…and they are listed as 1 version ago . 2 versions ago etc…up until the limit you have set in the File History setting.

I am hoping that IF I browsed to the STORAGE area on the WD hard drive - that I could differentiate these VERSIONS by some means…THAT IS MY QUESTION !!! Are the differing file versions listed by a timestamp or ???

Anyone know ??    Thanks

briney wrote:

as a follow up to the above question - I have done some research and have seen that the different versions of backed up files ARE available through the Retrieve function of Smartware…
In the PDF version of the WD Smartware Software User Manual , version 1.6.x under “Retrieving Backed Up Files” section - “How the Retrieve Function Works” – step 5. indicates that you have to place a check mark in a box to SHOW older files…and they are listed as 1 version ago . 2 versions ago etc…up until the limit you have set in the File History setting.

I am hoping that IF I browsed to the STORAGE area on the WD hard drive - that I could differentiate these VERSIONS by some means…THAT IS MY QUESTION !!! Are the differing file versions listed by a timestamp or ???

Anyone know ??    Thanks

Not sure if it will show a time stamp

you will indeed fine the files under the backup folder

is named smartware_stor, browse to the computer > C > Documents and settings > all users > user folder

this might variate depending on the way your folders are setup on the computer

Just follow up with my findings and reply to Wizer - After performing a 2nd backup - done manually as opposed to allowing the Smartware software to do it on it’s own…as I do NOT keep the WD external hard drive connected all the time to a PC.

I was able to view the “changed / modified” files by browsing to my external drive and into the STOR area…and differentiate between them by both SIZE and DATE from their previous version(s). Which does answer my question.

However, I have decided to NOT use the WD Smartware software as it seems to be very flakey - it did NOT backup some Outlook PST files…did on one PC but not on another…I received the same message that I have seen others mentioning - that the file did not get backed up…but “would” at another time…or something similar to this.

Just based upon ALL of the issues being spoken about here…I’ve decided to use another software application to backup files…it does the job I ask of it - without FAIL…so…Good Luck to those that use this software…I do NOT have time to fight with it…life is too short !!

Regards,   Briney