my two Velociraptors WD3000HLFS in RAID0 cause my system to freeze for about 3 minutes in approximtely 1 hour 15min intervals.
Well, it doesnt freeze completely - already running apps in RAM work normally untill a HDD operation is needed, launching new apps or any work requiring HDD activity (almost everything) stops to respond during this. After 3 mins the system suddenly ‘awakes’ and everything runs normally… untill it hangs again after about 60-90min… etc
During this 3min period:
the system is incredibly slow or doesnt respond at all
the hdd activity led becomes constantly lit
Windows performance monitor shows the hdd activity to be constantly 100% (just with few minor fluctuations) but almost no data are transfered (just few kB/s), the response (access) time of running processes grows to more than 1000ms.
CPU and RAM are idle.
The system ran perfectly stable for half a year before. The problem has arisen quite unreasonably 'cos I didn’t install any new ‘strange’ stuff nor changed any OS settings significantly.
Overheating of any HW is improbable.
- have latest mobo BIOS and drivers for all devices
- tested CPU and RAM stability and they seem to work flawlessly.
- tested the system with numerous antivirus programes - no malware/spyware found
- ran a CHKDSK test - no errors found
- ran a verify raid volume test in intel rapid storage - no errors found
- tested both hardrives in WD Data lifeguard diagnostics but found no errors - smart data ok, both tests (quick, extended) succesfully passed (twice)
- reinstalled the OS (fully formated the HDDs with DLG, deleted the old RAID, created a new RAID, used latest ahci/raid driver) - problem persists
I dont have any other hdds to try atm.
The problem occurs no matter what I’m doing - idle at desktop, browsing web, playing games… and it’s quite annoying tbh :-/
Note: the dlg couldnt recognize the hdds nor perform any tests when in raid, so I connected them to an another pc separately as secondary hdds to test them. But I suppose it’s normal, aint it?
Asus Maximus III Formula P55 mobo
Core i7 860
4 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5870
2x 300GB Velociraptor WD3000HLFS in RAID 0 (using mobo-integrated intel raid controller)
Win 7 64bit
I have also found other ppl with similar problems but with different drives, no solutions tho (e.g. here).
Any help would be welcome and appreciated.