Using WD My Drive as the source for network attached storage media files. How do you back them up?

The source is the actual WD My Cloud unit. It hold all of my media files for the household. It is the sole source. How do I back these up? I moved USB drive once connected to the WD, since that NEVER worked more than a day, to a local computer in the local network. WD My Drive picked it up as a destination source for backups. I want to back up the media stored on the WD My Cloud in a network drive folder to this/any external source, other than the same WD My Drive. How?

Use rsync.  There are GUI’s for linux, windows, and mac available.  Free and open source.

I bought an expensive backup device with backup software to run on my LAN as a CLOUD/NAS storage device and for doing backups of all my computers. If it doesn’t have this minimal function, I give up! Time to turn it off. I’ve had far too many issues for something that can’t even back up its own files.

atalba wrote:

I bought an expensive backup device with backup software to run on my LAN as a CLOUD/NAS storage device and for doing backups of all my computers. If it doesn’t have this minimal function, I give up! Time to turn it off. I’ve had far too many issues for something that can’t even back up its own files.

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=download&device=mc

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=faqs&device=mc&faq=backItUp

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10428/~/how-to-create-a-safepoint-backup-of-a-wd-my-cloud-personal-cloud-drive-on

Not one of those links addresses my problem. I don’t want to back up backups of other computers. I want to back up the CLOUD FILES that are on the MY CLOUD. These are files in a media libary shared across the household - videos, photos, music; Just what the product advertises it can be used for, along with backing up computers. I had over 1tb of media files that are highly essential and also need being backed up. Safepoints back up backups (from other computers) to another source. I have another source, Seagate drive, that I want to use to back up the media files that the WD My Cloud stores for the network, as NAS.

rsync is the proper solution. Using it however will void your warranty. You could use something like FreeFileSync in windows with a drive mapped to both your WD MyCloud and the other NAS or USB device and sync using the computer. So basically you would have the computer doing:

Read file from MYCloud

Copy file to BackupNAS

Not the most efficient thing, but doesn’t void your warranty. 

If you are looking for a turn key reliable backup solution, the WD MyCloud just isn’t there yet without SSH, which voids the warranty. I am currently using the following backup methods:

Using the free CrashPlan app I am backing up to my home theater PC, a local secondary hard disk on my desktop, and also the WD MyCloud as a mapped drive using task schedule to map it. I will soon be taking the backup file to a friends house and buying him a USB hard drive so I will have an off-site backup solution. If seeding crashplan’s own servers wasn’t so expensive I would pay for crashplan but I have limit upstream bandwidth. 

atalba wrote:

…Safepoints back up backups (from other computers) to another source. I have another source, Seagate drive, that I want to use to back up the media files that the WD My Cloud stores for the network, as NAS.

The WD My Cloud comes with a built-in utility to safely backup all information, shares, users and configurations of the network drive. This data can be saved to an external location within the same network, or to an attached USB drive in the back USB port of the device.

Did you even bother to read?  The safepoint is stored on your Seagate via USB or ethernet.

Do you use this feature? Do you place media files, or any other shared files in a SHARE, and then regularly back this up?