Using WD as rsync Backup Destination: Error "destination is out of free space"

Hi,

I am trying to use my WD My Cloud 8TB (Firmware 2.21.126, 7,92TB free space) as a rync backup destination.

From a synology NAS I use HyperBackup and choose the WD System as rsync backup destination. After a few minute of starting the synchronization I get a “Backup destination is out of free space” error. Altough the same procedure is working to a qnap rsync server. It’s pretty strange because the synology nas has currently just 5,7TB of 8,1TB in use.

Here is the code I used to setup rsync on WD:

ssh sshd@10.10.0.4

vi /etc/rsyncd.conf
log file = /var/log/rsync.log
[shares]
path = /shares
uid = root
gid = root
read only = no
list = yes
auth users = root
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
hosts allow = 10.10.0.1/255.255.255.0

vi /etc/rsyncd.secrets
root:mypw

chmod 600 /etc/rsyncd.secrets

rsync --daemon

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello,

I have never tried this. We have a lot of user that might be able to share some experience with us. Lets wait to see if they share some thoughts about this.

Shouldn’t the path point to an actual Share rather than the top level Share directory?
For example path = /shares/share1/ with “share1” being the name of a user Share (via the My Cloud Dashboard) on the My Cloud.

You may want to look at the following discussion, if you haven’t already, for more pointers on using rsync with the My Cloud. Perhaps something in that discussion can help solve your issue.

https://community.wd.com/t/happy-accident-includes-an-alternative-to-safepoint/96152/

Thank you very much, Bennor!