Using Slingbox to push content to WD TV Live Hub

I am going to “cut the cord” and turn off my Sat TV and have identified the WD TV Live Hub as my DVR/Internet TV access device.

My two choices for OTA TV appear to be:

1. Buy the indoor OTA antenna and a Hauppauge USB TV tuner for the back of the WD TV Live Hub and use the Hauppauge app get the local OTA channels.

– OR –

1. Get a Slingbox, install it at my parents home in the next state over and get access to their cable subscription (and local channels) in the hometown I grew up in.

Only, I cannot find much information on the Slingplayer app on the WD TV.  What little I find talks about using the Slingbox to pull content FROM the WD TV and its HDD for viewing on the TV the Slingbox is connect to but not push content TO the WD TV. 

If it is possible to push content to the WD TV Live Hub from the Slingbox, is there a way to set the DVR function of the WD TV to then force the Slingbox on the far end to activate, tune to the correct channel to then record OTA TV on the WD TV HDD scheduled ahead of time? 

Does the Slingbox and far end Cable box just need to be on all the time? 

Or would I have to manually open the Slingplayer app and then tell the WD TV to record what was playing through it so nothing could be scheduled ahead of time?

Thanks in advance for any answers you might give me and any other suggestions on how you get your OTA content.

Cheers,

sherck wrote:

…I cannot find much information on the Slingplayer app on the WD TV.  What little I find talks about using the Slingbox to pull content FROM the WD TV and its HDD for viewing on the TV the Slingbox is connect to but not push content TO the WD TV. 

1.  The Slingbox appliance itself just takes audio video input and sends it to a sling-catcher or app.  As such, you CAN connect a Slingbox to a WDTV’s outputs and sent the WDTV’s video output anywhere in the world.   In this use case, the slingbox app on the WDTV to which the slingbox appliance is connected to doesn’t get involved.

OR 2) you can connect the slingbox to any other device’s video output and use the WDTV’s slingplayer app to watch it.

So, you can use a WDTV to watch any slingbox.   You can even use a Slingplayer app on the WDTV to watch a DIFFERENT WDTV to which a slingbox is connected.

sherck wrote:If it is possible to push content to the WD TV Live Hub from the Slingbox, is there a way to set the DVR function of the WD TV to then force the Slingbox on the far end to activate, tune to the correct channel to then record OTA TV on the WD TV HDD scheduled ahead of time? 

No, the slingplayer app does NOT function as a DVR in any way, shape, or form.  

sherck wrote:

Does the Slingbox and far end Cable box just need to be on all the time? 

Or would I have to manually open the Slingplayer app and then tell the WD TV to record what was playing through it so nothing could be scheduled ahead of time?

As long as the far end box can be powered up via remote commands, then the slingplayer app can turn it on via the soft remote.

Again, the slingplayer app does not have ANY kind of DVR or recording functions of any sort.   If you want DVR functionality, then the far end source should be a DVR.