Using my cloud home for network storage - help with folder downloads

Hi
I have a legacy windows xp device on my nework - accessing the my cloud through the web browser is fine however I have stored a number of folders on my cloud that I want to be able to download completely to the xp device - now downloading each infdividual file is okay but to download the folder - I cant seem to work out - surely its possible? Help pelase.

I use Windows File Explorer. The My Cloud has a mapping to the public folder, which was created when I first set it up, and I store folders there. I select one or more folders in the public share using File Explorer, right-click and choose “Copy to Folder …” and then select the folder on my PC, or a mapped folder to another PC on the network, and right-click on that folder’s window and “Paste.” It copies the entire folder structure and files inside them.

1 Like

Thank you for replying - I dont have a mapped MY Cloud in file explorer so will have a look at seeing if that is something I can do…

Is it windows XP your using or a newer version of windows? Its there on my windows 10 machine - oon xp its simply not there so have to access it through home.mycloud.com so a little cumbersome way of getting to the drive

All I can tell you is that when I first ran WD Explorer and set up my My Cloud Home, I instantly had a network connection in Windows File Explorer. It was in the “Network” section. It’s “Network \ MyCloud-GWEANC \ Public”, (GWEANC is that device’s specific name, probably the serial number) and I can right-click on it in File Explorer and copy and paste to and from there.

I’m using Windows 10 on my PC, and Windows 8.1 on my laptop, and the MyCloud network device appears in both as soon as I run setup. Windows XP is quite different, and I’m not sure how to advise you on that.

I was also able to map a drive on my Win10 and Win 81 computers to the private share on the My Cloud Home, but that was trickier, because the path was different from the public share. But I don’t need the private share, so I didn’t work with that.

Home.mycloud.com is very cumbersome. In fact, I dislike it so much that I stopped using the My Cloud as a NAS and bought a NetGear ReadyNas instead. I only use the MyCloud as secondary fail-safe backup device now, and I sync it with the Netgear NAS.

I don’t even bother with the Netgear Backup feature - it doesn’t work with the MyCloud very well. I use a freeware program called SyncBackFree, which syncs all the folders on my PC to the Netgear NAS, and then syncs them from the NetGear NAS to the MyCloud. It is an awesome program.

I vaguely recall from my days administering XP that you need to have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled. If you then know the IP address of the My Cloud, you should be able to map a drive to it using the IP address. But I haven’t done this in years, so I can’t remember the steps.

From what I have just read, you need SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in order to see the My Cloud in File Explorer, and XP doesn’t support this.

Win 10 disabled this feature by default, but it can be turned back on. Here is a document about it. But I am not finding any way to enable this in XP. This is not to say it is not possible, just that I have not found it, but I think if you research this you might find out that there is, or is not, a solution for you.

There might be third-party software which can resolve the problem, but as XP is no longer supported, I can’t verify that.

thank you for the info.

I need windows xp for work - it has bespoke accounts software on it… so I do have windows 10 machines and a mac which work fine with the my cloud and as you say sync right from the outset and appear in file explorer

I did have a terrastation NAS - brilliant did what I needed but slow and with newer internet connections an hubs not supporting slower than gigabit ethernet Ilooked for an alternative and came up with the my cloud bout a 3tb one to see what it was and as it backs up the phones ipads and othe movbiles, makes the data available everywhere it does seem “ideal” its just this using my cloud web interface on xp and not being able to download a folder only individual files that seems such a massive oversight

Anyway thank you for the help and will read up the document you suggest