Using MBL for on-site and off-site backups

Hey All,

Quick question. We recently have switch to a dedicated server at our company and are looking to do back up on our own via internet using MyBookLive drives. Ideally, I would like to use an on-site MBL at the company to back up our server, then have an off-site drive either also backing up the server, or just backing up the MBL at the company. I was told by our IT guy that it could be possible, but we would need a static IP from the ISP of the company. I got one and let him know, he then said I need one for my home (the off site back-up location), before even looking at what these MBL drives are. I need suggestions and preferably instructions on how to do this. I do not have a full grasp of how this static/DHCP stuff works, nor much of the lingo of networking. We are running Windows Server 2008 R2 at the company. Also, would it be possible to just have the MBL plugged into my router at home with the settings in place, without needed a computer running at all times? If I need a computer, would a thin client be sufficient? Any help in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated!

You can access the my book remotely using wd2go, that way you can add or take files from the remote my book. Check the link below for the steps.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7080/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NzEzMDkwMi9zaWQvZlh4Nm5MNWw%3D

I saw that feature, but that’s just to allow me to access the drive at the company from, lets say, home, or somewhere. Is there a way to have a drive set up on my home network, make it visible on my company network, and back up to it automatically?

HarborviewAH wrote:

…I was told by our IT guy that it could be possible

I would think that be your IT Guy’s job, no?

Considering you “do not have a full grasp of how this static/DHCP stuff works, nor much of the lingo of networking,” you’re asking for some pretty complicated setup, here…